What should we do with the homeless?

plantmanky

I don’t think there’s a one size fits all way to fix it. Probably have to address prevention/solutions from multiple fronts... homeless vets, victims of domestic abuse, runaways, those recently released from prison, homeless youth, and the chronic homeless (drugs, mental illness, etc..).

It's a thorny issue. You want to help them, but making it easier for them to stay on the street is probably not a good way to approach it because of unintended consequences.

Helping them address the issues that led them to be homeless is probably a more effective way, addressing things like mental illness, and addiction issues. If someone is homeless because they have had an incredible string of bad luck, helping them get on their feet again financially seems like a positive step.

The one homeless guy I saw them interview with this story was asking for port-a-lets and showers to be provided on the street. He also wanted no strings attached shelters to be opened up. In other words, you can show up drunk or high and still get into the shelter.

But, making it more comfortable for homeless people to live on the street will have unintended consequences, like encouraging other people to give it a try when their life gets tough and they just feel like checking out of their responsibilities. I just think a little bit of "tough love" will be the more compassionate and helpful approach in the long run.

What beyond addressing the reasons that they are homeless could be the answer? If you take away those reasons then only those who would rather be homeless are left.

What should be done with those left? They are committing a crime technically, so should they be locked up?