Another "Stand Your Ground" Case In Florida

ColonelPops

Controversy again over the SYG law in Florida.

This time a guy was berating a female who had parked in a handicap spot at a convenience store. Her boyfriend (husband?) came out of the store and shoved the guy to the ground. Guy then drew his gun and shot the other guy in the chest and killed him.

Police say no charges will be filed due to the SYG law in Florida.

Comment from the Sheriff:

Drejka “felt after being slammed to the ground, the next thing was he was going to be further attacked by McGlockton,” said Gualtieri, who has been sheriff since 2011 and also has a law degree. “He felt the next thing was that he was going to be slammed again. He was going to be struck again and he was in fear.”

Video and article: 'Stand your ground killing': Michael Drejka won't be charged in handicap spot shooting - The Washington Post

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This law seems to give a lot of freedom to the shooter. All he has to do is claim he felt unsafe and that he was going to be attacked. In this video there was no indication that the boyfriend was going to attack him after he pushed him to the ground. You then add in the aspect that the shooter was the aggressor.

If there's no video nor witnesses what keeps one from walking up to someone and killing them and then say they were attacked or threatened?

Or what about if I start a fist fight and end up getting to the point where I'm getting my behind whipped? Can I shoot and declare I thought I was going to suffer great injury?

Edited by ColonelPops

What point are you trying to make ?

Deuce made the point that the shooter killed a guy for pushing him. I am making the point that the simple push, could in fact, kill someone.

So in this case, under Florida law, I can absolutely see this as a self defense shooting. The guy who pushed, showed himself to be a threat..........................................