How many programs still do two-a-days?

I was talking to a coach about this briefly today. I knew the vast majority of schools had gone away from two-a-days, but I didn't realize the KHSAA now actually prohibits schools from having two-a-day practices multiple days in a row. Each day of two-a-day practice has to be separated from the next by at least one day of single practice.

Is anybody out there still doing two-a-days at this point?

I was talking to a coach about this briefly today. I knew the vast majority of schools had gone away from two-a-days, but I didn't realize the KHSAA now actually prohibits schools from having two-a-day practices multiple days in a row. Each day of two-a-day practice has to be separated from the next by at least one day of single practice.

Is anybody out there still doing two-a-days at this point?

Where is Tom Duffy these days? I think they had 3 a Days at Danville.

Where is Tom Duffy these days? I think they had 3 a Days at Danville.

I was always curious whether or not you actually ended up with more practice having three practices with two breaks during the day, or with two practices and one break during the day. I know when we were doing two-a-days at Cov Cath while I played, we got there at 8am, and left at 8pm. I'm not sure a three-a-day could have really offered that much more practice, aside from maybe starting at 7am and quitting at 9pm.

I remember two straight weeks of two-a-days.

Yessir. Same here.

I remember leaving my first two-a-day practice and driving home with a stomach ache from thinking about how in the world I was supposed to get through 11 more days of them if I was already that beaten down from just 1 day.

Yessir. Same here.

I remember leaving my first two-a-day practice and driving home with a stomach ache from thinking about how in the world I was supposed to get through 11 more days of them if I was already that beaten down from just 1 day.

Wake up at 7 am, drive to the field. Practice from 8-10:30. Drive home, eat lunch, shower, nap till 3:00 or so. Get up, drive to the field, practice 4-6:30. Drive home, eat dinner, shower, sleep.

Repeat.

9-12 and 6-9pm for 2 weeks all four years at hhs under coach Mueller. Someone with more knowledge of the KHSAA rules will have to confirm but I’m pretty sure 2-a-days have basically been put out to pasture by the state. Anyone?

Wake up at 7 am, drive to the field. Practice from 8-10:30. Drive home, eat lunch, shower, nap till 3:00 or so. Get up, drive to the field, practice 4-6:30. Drive home, eat dinner, shower, sleep.

Repeat.

We weren't allowed to leave campus between practices. We'd all haul tail down to the school cafeteria to eat as quickly as possible, and then most of us would find a spot (ideally as dim-lit as possible) to nap as long as possible. Lucky guys got to nap in the garage area off of the weight room where the high jump/pole vault pit pads were stored for track and field. The locker rooms looked like Jonestown the morning after during break...guys balanced laying on locker benches...guys laying on tackling dummies, lay-down dummies, or arm-shields...some guys even brought inflatable pool floats to sleep on. Anything you could do to separate yourself from the concrete floor of the locker room while you napped.

Areas nearest to a fan were at a premium too. It was hot as all hell in that un-air conditioned locker room building.

One of the days during the first week there was time set aside during the break for seniors to shave players' heads - all sophomores had to shave it. Upperclassmen weren't required, but a lot of them did anyway.

There were always a handful of guys who would skip naps so they could sit around and play euchre. I was not among them.

Edited by Colonels_Wear_Blue

I know one local school used to have 3 a day, then one the next day, 3 a day, one the next day and then 3 a day again during the first week.of full pads.

Boosters/parents would provide lunch, snacks and plenty to drink on 3 a day days.

9-12 and 6-9pm for 2 weeks all four years at hhs under coach Mueller. Someone with more knowledge of the KHSAA rules will have to confirm but I’m pretty sure 2-a-days have basically been put out to pasture by the state. Anyone?

Taken from the KHSAA's Football Practice Regulations in Bylaw 23:

(8) Beginning July 22 through July 31:

a. Practice may be conducted in shells (shorts, helmets, shoulder pads) for each player who has had at least five days in helmets only;

b. Only Level 0-“Air”, Level 1-“Bags” and Level 2-“Control” drills shall be conducted prior to the final non-contact interscholastic simulation;

c. Following the final non-contact interscholastic simulation, only Level 0-“Air”, Level 1-“Bags”, Level 2-“Control” and Level 3- “Thud” drills shall be conducted;

d. No single practice session shall be longer than three (3) hours;

e. Multiple contact practices shall not be held on any day where Level 3-“Thud” drills are conducted;

f. On days when the maximum of two practices of any type is held, a total limit of 5 hours per day of practice, not including the mandatory break shall be allowed;

i. Water breaks, rest breaks, and injury treatment shall not count against the 5-hour limit; and

ii. Weight training, conditioning, required meetings, required sport and skill specific film study, and teaching period/walk through simulations without equipment shall count against 5-hour limit;

g. On days when only one practice of any type is held, a total limit of 3 hours per day of practice shall be allowed;

i. Water breaks, rest breaks, and injury treatment shall not count against the 3-hour limit; and

ii. Weight training, conditioning, required meetings, required sport and skill specific film study, and teaching period/walk through simulations without equipment shall count against 3-hour limit;

h. A 3-hour break is required after a contact practice where Level 3-“Thud” drills are conducted during which no activity shall be held and the athletes are located where cooling and recovery is possible;

i. During this break, there shall be no gear worn, and no activity that in any way simulates football or football drills. This restriction is in place regardless of where the practice occurs including camps, home practices, or other workout areas. This period is solely for rest/recovery; and

ii. Weight training, conditioning, meetings, film study, and teaching period/walk through simulations without equipment shall not be conducted during the three-hour required break; and

i. The KHSAA catastrophic insurance is in place for these drills and practice sessions.

Not from KY, but we would start the season with 5 days of helmet/shells around august 5th(roughly), then do 10 days of two a days (8-11 then 5-8) followed by 3 days of three a days (7am-10am, eat and watch film from 11-1, then practice 2pm-4pm, rest/eat, then 6-8pm). The heat index wasn't a concern.

When I played in my state's all-star game, our prep was 2 weeks of three a days.

Not from KY, but we would start the season with 5 days of helmet/shells around august 5th(roughly), then do 10 days of two a days (8-11 then 5-8) followed by 3 days of three a days (7am-10am, eat and watch film from 11-1, then practice 2pm-4pm, rest/eat, then 6-8pm). The heat index wasn't a concern.

When I played in my state's all-star game, our prep was 2 weeks of three a days.

We had offensive and defensive "team meetings" each day that lasted maybe a couple of hours. They took place after lunch break and prior to the second practice. Those included playbook review and films.