Louisville Basketball team members suing NCAA over 2013 Championship nullification.

Ex-Louisville players sue NCAA over vacated national title

A group of former Louisville men's basketball players have filed a lawsuit against the NCAA over the organization's vacation of the Cardinals' 2013 national championship and 2012 Final Four.

The suit filed Wednesday in Jefferson County Circuit Court does not specify monetary damages. It states the NCAA cast the plaintiffs in a false light and seeks declaration that it wrongfully vacated the plaintiffs' wins, honors and awards.

Morgan added, "If all we get is this championship back for Louisville, and the players, and the city, and Luke's MVP back, that's going to be plenty pay for us."

Interesting approach to things. They're not seeking money, first of all. But they are asking that the individual players involved in the suit be re-established as "national champions". They've also invited other players not linked to the scandal to join in as plaintiffs.

One of the primary arguments appears to be the fact that those individual players were not linked to anything involving recruiting or the stripper controversy. But can you be a "national champion" if the team you played on relied on coaches and players that were involved in the scandal?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dude's a glorified ambulance chaser. They could have done better, for sure.

The only reason it interests me is that he has something like 450 attorneys in his network and that’s a lot of people to generate paper to make the NCAA miserable... which is fun.

Which Jefferson Circuit Court judge was assigned to the suit? Will he/she have the guts to dismiss it out of hand------you know a motion to dismiss will be the first thing filed by the NCAA.....except maybe a motion to transfer the suit to a friendlier federal court somewhere. I imagine quite a few Jeff. County judges are UL law school grads. It will indeed be interesting to follow this case.

K

Which Jefferson Circuit Court judge was assigned to the suit? Will he/she have the guts to dismiss it out of hand------you know a motion to dismiss will be the first thing filed by the NCAA.....except maybe a motion to transfer the suit to a friendlier federal court somewhere. I imagine quite a few Jeff. County judges are UL law school grads. It will indeed be interesting to follow this case.

I thought I read where it’s in Olu Stevens’ court in Division 6. Not a UofL alumnus. Morehouse College then the GW law school in Washington DC.

Edited by Getslow

Will this stay in Jefferson County or be moved to the Federal courts?

I don’t think they’re suing for any money which means I think without meeting the “amount in controversy” requirement, it isn’t removable as filed. I haven’t read the complaint yet, so I couldn’t say for sure. For the same reason, I don’t know if the complaint involves any question of federal law, which would also make it removable.

They are going to lose this case, and probably big. I guess I can understand the sentiment of clearing their names (the players involved in the law suit), but nothing good is going to come from this.

A large portion of the fan base doesn't agree with the suit, as we just want to be done with the mess and move forward.

As for John Morgan, sheesh. They should have let someone else talk at the press conference.