Favorite Cocktails & Cocktail Recipes

formerkywrestler

Post your favorite cocktail with recipe. I prefer a Manhattan:

2 oz rye (I use Bulleit 95 or Old Scout 7 year old)
1 oz sweet vermouth
2 dashes of angoustra bitters

Combine all in a pint glass with ice. Stir with a cocktail spoon. Strain in a chilled rocks glass. Garnish with a marischino Cherry.

The girlfriend loves margaritas:

1.5 oz of pure agave tequila (we use Cazadores)
1 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
.5 oz orange liquer (Patron or Cointreau)

Combine in a shaker. Shake, strain into a salt-rimmed glass with ice. She liked her margaritas frozen until I introduced her to this recipe.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As I get older, I just love a good martini. Don't know how they are made because I don't drink them at home. Usually one before dinner at a nice restaurant.

A guilty pleasure of mine is an extra dirty martini (made with grey goose).

I'll take bourbon and diet coke or an "old fashioned" as my favorite cocktail...

Old Fashioned is my usual. I don't have a cocktail very often though.

Old Fashioned

1 sugar cube
3 dashes angostura bitters
2 ounces bourbon
water

Place the sugar cube in the glass and wet it first with the bitters then a short splash of water. Crush the sugar cube with whatever's handy. Spin the glass a bit to line it with the sugar granules and the bitters. Add a couple ice cubes. Pour the bourbon. Serve.

I like a little orange and cherry garnish as well if it's available.

Some people put in club soda instead of water. Those people are not to be trusted. Take all their bourbon away as it must be protected from them.

Getslow said:

Old Fashioned

1 sugar cube
2 ounces bourbon
water

Place the sugar cube in the glass and wet it first with the bitters then a short splash of water. Crush the sugar cube with whatever's handy. Spin the glass a bit to line it with the sugar granules and the bitters. Add a couple ice cubes. Pour the bourbon. Serve.

Some people put in club soda instead of water. Those people are not to be trusted. Take all their bourbon away as it must be protected from them.

My choice as well.

I go through phases. For the most part I drink whiskey neat. And I like all of the for what they are. I enjoy good rye, good bourbon, good scotch, and Irish whiskey. Not much into Canadian whiskey. If I'm having a cocktail, it's almost always one of the classic cocktails.

Perfect Martini
2 1/2 ounces Boodles gin
1/4 ounce sweet vermouth
1/4 ounce dry vermouth
1 cocktail olive

- Chill a glass.
- 8-10 ice cubes in a mixing glass
- add the gin and vermouths
- stir or swirl, you don't want shattered ice splinters
- Drop the olive in the glass
- strain the liquid into the glass

Manhattan
Same as the Martini, above, but substitute rye for gin, and a cherry for the olive. I like to use Whistle Pig Rye.

Old Fashioned
- This is the only one I like on the rocks.
- Weller Special Reserve is my bourbon of choice for making an Old Fashioned.
- Same portions as above.
- I like to put my orange and cherry in and give them a couple of muddles, just enough to press some of the juice out of each.
- Then put in the ice and bourbon and give it a couple of stirs.

Rob Roy
2 ounces blended Scotch whisky (I like Pinch)
3/4 ounce sweet vermouth
1 dash Angostura bitters

- 8-10 ice cubes in a mixing glass
- Add ingredients and stir
- Serve in a chilled glass

Manhattans for me.

2 oz. Elmer T. Lee
1 dash sweet vermouth
2 dashes of angostura bitters
2 brandied cherries

Combine bourbon, vermouth, and bitters in a rocks glass along with 1 or 2 large ice cubes. (I like using a single large clear ice cube made with my Studio Neat ice maker - they melt extraordinarily slowly.) Stir with cocktail spoon. Add in the two brandied cherries with a touch of the brandy/juice, to taste. The brandy/juice is sweet enough that it functionally replaces most, if not all need for vermouth.

Getslow said:

Old Fashioned

1 sugar cube
2 ounces bourbon
water

On the occasions where I decide to make an Old Fashioned, I always muddle the orange - particularly the peel. It works some of the orange oil out of the peel and into the drink. Adds a little bit of a complexity to things.

As with my Manhattans, I also use brandied cherries to make an Old Fashioned. I find that they make drinks far more interesting than maraschino cherries. I have a couple recipes. One is a little spicier, and I tend to stick with that one in the winter - it's a family recipe that goes back to the 1880s and was used in the Covington Saloon that my great-great-grandfather owned and ran.

(This guy.)

JosephGruesz.jpg

My other recipe I came up with myself, and is less spicy and slightly more citrusy. It's generally what I use when the weather is a bit warmer.