GRC radio announcer dies of Cancer

It is with a heavy heart that I have to post this. I know there are many on here that knew him and would want to know.

Radio announcer and voice of the GRC Cards has died of cancer. He was such a great friend and huge community leader. Words can not express what he ment to the GRC program. He announced football, boys and girls basketball. He told it just the way it was and made you feel like you were at the game.

He will be missed so much. RIP my friend.

Thumbnail.jpg

Obituary for Graham Francis Johns III

Graham Francis Johns III, 66, of Winchester, Kentucky, passed on to perpetual life eternal on June 27th, 2018, at his residence. He was the son of Joan Schlegel Anderson and Graham Francis “Connie” Johns Jr.

He was a graduate of Centre College and a member of Sigma Chi fraternity. He was retired from East Kentucky Power where he was internal auditor and also accounting manager.

Graham was a lover of sports. For thirty years, he was involved with T-ball, softball, golf, and was the voice of the Clark County Cardinals, both in girls and boys basketball and football. He spent countless hours walking the fairways all over the state of Kentucky with his daughter, Meredith, playing golf. He continued following her college career over the state of Indiana while she attended Hanover College.

He was a member of the Clark County Toastmaster’s Club, where he found joy in public speaking. He was an active member at First Christian Church, Disciples of Christ, where he he served in many capacities, but loved the music and playing the bells most of all.

His greatest accomplishment was his love for his hometown. He saw such great potential for the growth of Winchester. He was president of Winchester First and was an integral part in organizing banners recognizing Hometown Heroes. He worked diligently to make the community a better place.

Graham is survived by his wife of 35 years, Lisa Crawford Johns, his daughter, and son-in-law, Meredith Anne & Clarke Hall.

In lieu of flowers, please donate to Hospice East or First Christian Church.

Visitation will be Monday, July 2, 2018 from 4:00-8.00 P.M. at First Christian Church.

Funeral will be Tuesday, July 3, 2018 11:00 A.M. at First Christian Church.

Really hate to hear this. He always made a point to come and talk to me at the games and was always very pleasant. I know he will be missed in Cardinal land but this is one Royal that will miss talking to him.

He actually lived in Maysville at some point then his family moved to Winchester and he graduated from GRC.

I only had causal contact with the man.

Back in our early days of broadcasting over the internet, and before cell phones, he taught me the difference between a digital phone line and an analog one at a Brossart-GRC game, when "I couldn't get out." I was trying to connect to a digital line, and didn't know the difference.

He also taught me that I could "get out" by using a fax machine if one were in the vicinity. It didn't help me that night in Winchester, BUT later on the knowledge proved useful at the old Nicholas County Gym where there was an office behind the stage, where we connected to a fax machine to call an early days All "A" Classic tournament.

RIP Friend!!!