Brewers at Reds (6/28 - 7/1)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hunter Greene shines again; Home Runs for everyone | redsminorleagues.com

Hunter Greene took the mound in Dayton on Wednesday night and he put together another strong start for the Dragons. The 18-year-old dominated the Great Lakes Loons over 6.0 innings. Greene walked two batters and struck out seven, while giving up just three hits on the night. The righty needed just 78 pitches to get through his six frames of work.

Over his last nine starts, dating back to May 12th, Greene has made nine starts and posted a 2.68 ERA. That’s come in 43.2 innings pitched where he’s walked just nine batters and he’s struck out 49 batters. He’s been flat out dominating the Midwest League for the last six weeks and there’s no sign that he’s slowing down.

He's been great since his rocky start.

Hunter Greene shines again; Home Runs for everyone | redsminorleagues.com

Hunter Greene took the mound in Dayton on Wednesday night and he put together another strong start for the Dragons. The 18-year-old dominated the Great Lakes Loons over 6.0 innings. Greene walked two batters and struck out seven, while giving up just three hits on the night. The righty needed just 78 pitches to get through his six frames of work.

Over his last nine starts, dating back to May 12th, Greene has made nine starts and posted a 2.68 ERA. That’s come in 43.2 innings pitched where he’s walked just nine batters and he’s struck out 49 batters. He’s been flat out dominating the Midwest League for the last six weeks and there’s no sign that he’s slowing down.

He's been great since his rocky start.

I went up to Dayton and watched him pitch last night. He hit 99 on the gun once. His fastball was consistently at 97 until the top of 4th after a really long bottom of the 3rd. He finished the game st 94 or 95. He threw several nice slider/curves at 83. He was dominant! Very impressed.

I went up to Dayton and watched him pitch last night. He hit 99 on the gun once. His fastball was consistently at 97 until the top of 4th after a really long bottom of the 3rd. He finished the game st 94 or 95. He threw several nice slider/curves at 83. He was dominant! Very impressed.

I am sooooo going to sound like Chris Welsh here, but...I don't really care about what the radar gun says. Can the kid hit his spots? Can he change speeds? Does he have a good #2 or #3? Can he get hitters out? Can he do it multiple times? Does he have the endurance to last more than 5 innings? Look, if the kid ends up being the second coming of Aroldis Champan and can pump heaters by people all day long, then great.

But, I'd much rather he become a good pitcher, instead of just a hard thrower.

(Not knocking your report Sportsmaniac, just that it seems we rely on the radar gun too much as to how a kid is progressing.)

I am sooooo going to sound like Chris Welsh here, but...I don't really care about what the radar gun says. Can the kid hit his spots? Can he change speeds? Does he have a good #2 or #3? Can he get hitters out? Can he do it multiple times? Does he have the endurance to last more than 5 innings? Look, if the kid ends up being the second coming of Aroldis Champan and can pump heaters by people all day long, then great.

(Not knocking your report Sportsmaniac, just that it seems we rely on the radar gun too much as to how a kid is progressing.)

I would agree with you Cincy Sports Fan! I couldn’t tell about his location from where I was sitting. His 2nd pitch seemed pretty good. He still has work to do, but for a 19 year old I thought he looked good.

Reds pitchers just can't give up the HR's they that have tonight. Disco just spun up a high curve ball with two strikes and Garret got behind 2-0 to a flat Reds killer. Just can't pitch from behind to those mashers. No matter how fast, they can hit it.

Agreed, also my biggest thing is the Reds pitchers pitch counts are always high, ever since the mid 90's. That is the biggest plus for me on Hunter Greene, he seems to be doing more with less pitches, for now.