Severe Storms possible for Sunday 6/24/18

nWo

There is a possibility of strong to severe storms for later today. The major threat to look for from these storms looks to be damaging winds and possible hail. A tornado or two can't be completely ruled out. The greatest risk for these storms looks to be in Western Kentucky. The Storm Prediction Center has Western Kentucky in a Slight Risk Area while the rest of Kentucky from around the I-64 corridor southward is in a Marginal Risk Area.

KY_swody1.png

The timing for these storms looks to be early evening into the overnight hours. The following simulated radar is from the NAM4km model. This run is from 5 pm EDT Sunday to 2 pm EDT Monday.

64-nodither.gif

I will update later today. Here's a reminder of the storm categories.

severe-weather-definitions.jpg

The severe threat for later today has increased some. The Storm Prediction Center has expanded the Slight Risk Area in Kentucky to around halfway between I-65 and I-75. Damaging winds heavy downpours should be the most common concern, but severe hail and even some tornado risk may exist through early evening as the tornado risk has increased since this morning. I'm seeing the greatest time period for the possible tornadic activity being 5- 8 pm EDT. This is mainly in Western Kentucky. The SAR is showing that any possible tornado could reach EF-3 in strength. Not saying one will develop but the possibility is there.

KY_swody1.png

This is the simulated radar from 5 pm EDT Sunday till 5 pm EDT on Monday.

32-nodither.gif

An update will come later this afternoon. Those in Western Kentucky should start paying close attention to the weather for later today.

The shower and thunderstorms are moving towards WKY at this moment. Here is the excessive rainfall map for today through tomorrow.

94ewbg.gif

Thunderstorm outlook from 8 pm to midnight

enh_0000.gif

Midnight to 8 am Monday morning.

enh_0400.gif