Weather anomaly in Florence Kentucky on 6-20

theguru

Hey @nWo I haven't tried to research this but I saw something spectacular in the sky last night (6-20-18) at approximately 957pm EDT in Florence Kentucky.

It was a column shaped cloud structure with a slight mushroom formation at the top moving almost due south over Florence. Additionally the cloud appeared to have a form of lightning intermittently flashing inside it but I did not hear sound associated with the lightning.

If you can look at any historical data it tracked south right between the two North/South Runway Vectors at Cincinnati International Airport (CVG).

Eventually it dissipated and/or blended in with some other clouds in the sky.

Any ideas nWo? Anyone?

Hey @nWo I haven't tried to research this but I saw something spectacular in the sky last night (6-20-18) at approximately 957pm EDT in Florence Kentucky.

It was a column shaped cloud structure with a slight mushroom formation at the top moving almost due south over Florence. Additionally the cloud appeared to have a form of lightning intermittently flashing inside it but I did not hear sound associated with the lightning.

If you can look at any historical data it tracked south right between the two North/South Runway Vectors at Cincinnati International Airport (CVG).

Eventually it dissipated and/or blended in with some other clouds in the sky.

Any ideas nWo? Anyone?

Sounds like a localized thunderstorm. The anvil shape comes from the clouds rising into the bottom of the stratosphere.

Just sounds like an anvil cloud... A pop up, isolated thunderstorm. Most of the time you can't really see the tops of thunderstorm clouds because they are usually linear or in a cluster.

Sounds like a localized thunderstorm. The anvil shape comes from the clouds rising into the bottom of the stratosphere.

The other oddity to me was it was moving due south while the other cloud formations in the sky were moving to the southeast and the difference was very noticeable.

The other oddity to me was it was moving due south while the other cloud formations in the sky were moving to the southeast and the difference was very noticeable.

That's not really that unusual with scattered popup thunderstorms. These separate storms are usually not influenced by a front that makes most of the storms move in a single direction. Some of the radars in our weather tracking thread have arrows that show what direction the storm is moving. They sometimes show what you saw last night.