Are all fouls the same and a refs response

While playing summer ball yesterday my daughter ask the ref to watch the elbows from the opposing teams best player. My daughter had harassed her the whole game. She had just hit her on the side of the head with one, after trying to throw several during the day to clear space. The referee then said maybe you should keep your hands off her. I know this to be true because several of our players were talking about it when we ate after the game. My question are all fouls the same and how can a referee ever give the response he did?

While playing summer ball yesterday my daughter ask the ref to watch the elbows from the opposing teams best player. My daughter had harassed her the whole game. She had just hit her on the side of the head with one, after trying to throw several during the day to clear space. The referee then said maybe you should keep your hands off her. I know this to be true because several of our players were talking about it when we ate after the game. My question are all fouls the same and how can a referee ever give the response he did?

That bothers me when a red says something like this. If she had hands all over her then call a foul. If it is not enough to call one then he shouldn’t say that and definitely should call one for an elbow.

If the ref wasn't calling the daughter for having her hands on the other player, then they shouldn't have a gripe about the elbows not being called, IMO. I understand the frustration of being hit with an elbow, but if you're fouling too...

I once had a summer referee tell me that a player is not allowed to dribble on the other side of the free throw line while preparing to shoot a free throw. He claimed that any FRee Throw routine that included dribbling the ball must take place above the free throw line. A dribble that is below the free throw line is considered a free throw attempt. I just smiled and went on.

To me I see this more as a safety issue than a foul, if she is taking elbows to the head then the ref should have done something. For him to respond like that is ridiculous and has no business being a ref.

First, tell your daughter that she has to be a little more stealthy.

Second, there's nothing worse than a bad referee with a know it all mouth.

...except an obnoxious parent who thinks he/she knows more than the ref.