Augusta hires Roger Newton

I’ve talked to Augusta people who are upset about this hire. They wanted Adam Reed. I think Augusta should be glad that they got someone with boys head coaching experience at East Jessimine, LCA, and Nicholas County. He did an ok job with the Nicholas County teams I watched. Augusta needed a PE teacher, and an AD. They weren’t going to hire an assistant coach like Adam Reed. Adam does a great job with player development and knows the game well. But there’s a lot more that goes into being a head coach than just on the floor. You have to worry about grades, discipline, fundraising, scheduling, parents, administrators, that assistants don’t do. I think their assistants are good assistants and would serve better as assistants. So I think this is a good move by Augusta, getting a coach, AD, and PE teacher with experience.

What makes you think the current assistants stay? With that group of strong personalities down there, this guy better blow them away in their first meeting. I doubt very seriously he has any idea what he's getting himself into.

Should be interesting.

Just so I’m tracking... a coach with a history of successes and a long track record working with prestigious programs dealing is gonna get push back based on a hiring decision made by administration?

Kelsch nows basketball as well as Newton. Guy deserves a chance. The school doesn’t have a position for a non-certified employee not a person in their school system ready to step up and take on an AD role.

Not sure what the fuss is about... ATown will have an EXTREMELY difficult time competing for a regional title let alone a class A or District title. Can they do it??? Sure they can... but you can’t taking steps back throwing stones at the decisions admin makes.

Newton is competitive, competent and will be more than willing to go above the call of duty. You can best bet he will work with the necessary people to give the best opportunity to the KIDS of Augusta.

I’ve talked to Augusta people who are upset about this hire. They wanted Adam Reed. I think Augusta should be glad that they got someone with boys head coaching experience at East Jessimine, LCA, and Nicholas County. He did an ok job with the Nicholas County teams I watched. Augusta needed a PE teacher, and an AD. They weren’t going to hire an assistant coach like Adam Reed. Adam does a great job with player development and knows the game well. But there’s a lot more that goes into being a head coach than just on the floor. You have to worry about grades, discipline, fundraising, scheduling, parents, administrators, that assistants don’t do. I think their assistants are good assistants and would serve better as assistants. So I think this is a good move by Augusta, getting a coach, AD, and PE teacher with experience.

All the experience in the world does you no good if you have no players.

I like it when Augusta is competitive and fun to watch aka the Hinson years, I sure hope this decision doesn't set them back in a few years like St.Patrick will be this season

All the experience in the world does you no good if you have no players.

I like it when Augusta is competitive and fun to watch aka the Hinson years, I sure hope this decision doesn't set them back in a few years like St.Patrick will be this season

Augusta got some good middle school transfers last year too. Not the first time this has happened at Augusta

Augusta got some good middle school transfers last year too. Not the first time this has happened at Augusta

I don't think you understood my response.

The decision to hire someone with experience as teacher,AD,etc. my have been the economical one, but if a small community doesn't go all in with this, you may have an experienced coach,teacher,AD with no players. Hope Coach Newton understands this. I really thought they would go with hiring just a PE teacher, have Kelsch assume AD duties and go with the local big 3 or 4 as the coaching staff