U.S. Open - Anyone watching?

PP1

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I realize this is a big major tournament but the USGA has this course to where it’s almost unfair and unreasonable. When you hit a great shot within a few feet of a hole and it slowly trickles into a deep bunker, well that’s a little too much tricking up a course to make it harder. Good shots should be rewarded not penalized.

I’m all for watching these guys struggle. It makes them seem human. But this isn’t fun to watch. Like professor said, great shots should be rewarded. I’m all for it being extremely penal if you miss it slightly, but not this. I’d venture to say we could take the best 5 golfers in BGP and not one of us break 100 on this course today.

What did Phil do? I was in ER and heard the announcers say he was on trouble for something he did.

Phil missed a putt, and rather than let run off the green, he ran it down and hit it back toward the hole while it was still moving. I’ll admit, I’ve done this before.....but I’m not a pro golfer playing in front of millions at this country’s biggest tournament.

Phil Mickelson given two-stroke penalty for putting ball before it stops moving | FOX Sports

This isn't the first time the USGA has screwed up at this venue.

The USGA is making this sort of course setup too frequent for the US Open. Most of the golfers aren’t making negative statements due to backlash but you can tell by their body language that they’re pretty disgusted.

The USGA is making this sort of course setup too frequent for the US Open. Most of the golfers aren’t making negative statements due to backlash but you can tell by their body language that they’re pretty disgusted.

Agree. Not sure what to expect tomorrow but I will be watching. I don't play but love to walk and follow my men when they play. Always enjoy watching golf with them on TV.

I don't mind watching the pros struggle on the golf course. But the US Open, is often ridiculous. When the course is tricked up this much, and good shots turn into bad shots so regularly, it's not about how good your are, but how lucky you are.

What did Phil do? I was in ER and heard the announcers say he was on trouble for something he did.

Basically his putt was going to roll all the way off the green and he would have to chip back up and it would have been a very difficult chip so he decided to hit a moving ball and take the 2 stroke penalty that accompanies the act instead of having to hit the chip back up the hill. I don’t really have a problem with it but its definitely one of those spirit of the rules things that I personally don’t think Phil should have done.