World Cup 2018

It still stings that USA is not participating. However, there is no bigger global sporting event. Having worked for a German company and traveled there a lot, #DieMannschaft .

Here are my predictions:

Group A: Uruguay, Russia

Group B: Portugal, Spain

Group C: France, Denmark

Group D: Argentina, Croatia

Group E: Brazil, Switzerland

Group F: Germany, Mexico

Group G: Belgium, England

Group H: Colombia, Poland

Semis:

Germany over Argentina

Brazil over France

Finals:

Germany over Brazil

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to pick against Germany. The other teams I’d have considered contenders to win the whole thing — Brazil, Argentina, France, Portugal, Spain — all have one significant flaw or another. The Germans don’t.

Dark horse good team from outside the normal powers: Belgium.

Small team I’m hoping for big things from: Senegal.

Seems like an open tournament, at least among the big names. I'd say Germany is the favorite but there are a few others that might can pull it off.

As for sleepers, I like @Getslow's pick of Belgium, but international soccer is such a hard club to break in to. The cream always rises and the same teams always win it.

Finally, surprises could come from Uruguay, who have an easy group and thus could get a good knockout draw. I like Denmark's potential to make noise from Group C, and Group D seems like a dogfight for second between Croatia, Iceland, and Nigeria - all of which are solid clubs.

Finally, surprises could come from Uruguay, who have an easy group and thus could get a good knockout draw. I like Denmark's potential to make noise from Group C, and Group D seems like a dogfight for second between Croatia, Iceland, and Nigeria - all of which are solid clubs.

Group D will be interesting. My gut tells me that Croatia's overwhelming talent will see them through, but they've got some old guys playing in defense.

Ronaldo just owned this game. Portugal clearly overmatched by a superior Spanish team and the only reason they were in it was because he willed them to it.

Spain had crisp passing and solid strategy. Absolutely should have won.

But Ronaldo would not be denied.

Portugal will be thrilled to have grabbed a point. Spain will be supremely disappointed with the draw.

Ill be shocked if these two don’t go through to the Round of 16 with ease.