USA (and Canada and Mexico) to host 2026 World Cup

Getslow

I know there was a fuss during the Women’s World Cup in Canada that a lot of the games were played on turf fields. I wonder if this will be an issue as well. I would assume they would at least want the championship game played on grass so I would assume that would limit it to one of the 2 major college football stadiums in LA or maybe even Phoenix.

I know there was a fuss during the Women’s World Cup in Canada that a lot of the games were played on turf fields. I wonder if this will be an issue as well. I would assume they would at least want the championship game played on grass so I would assume that would limit it to one of the 2 major college football stadiums in LA or maybe even Phoenix.

I’d imagine they’ll demand grass for the final. Will probably deal with field turf for group stage games. They weren’t when the tournament was here in 1994, but people HATED it then, but nobody plays on that old AstroTurf anymore.

Current proposal features three games on opening day: Mexico in Mexico City, USA in LA, and Canada in Toronto. All would be on grass fields available in those cities.

Three hosts, 48 teams: how the 226 World Cup will work | Football | The Guardian

Guardian reports say the plan is for MetLife Stadium in New York to host the final.

While it has field turf, it’s outdoors and temporary grass could be brought in if FIFA demands a natural surface.

Personally, I don’t like soccer on field turf as much (the ball bounces and scoots in weird ways), but it’s everywhere in the US. Hard to avoid it.

Does this mean USA gets in automatically?

FIFA have yet to make that call. Everything is still a proposal at this point.

But with the field expanding from 32 teams to 48, I’ll be shocked if the three hosts aren’t all auto bids.

Do they also get into the Confederations Cup automatically?

Still up in the air but the last story I heard was that FIFA was looking to scrap the Confederations Cup after 2021. They want to move the Club World Cup to June and have it replace the other tournament entirely. Don’t think that’s officially happened yet though.

Okay, last question...When is the next tournament or cup that USA can compete in?

Gold Cup? Is that in 2019 or 2020?

I'll be ready to get back in on another long 4-year chase after this World cup ends.

You had it. CONCACAF Gold Cup will take place in June of 2019 with a spot in what could be the final Confederations Cup on the line. Those will be the USA's next competitive matches.

With CONCACAF Nations League getting started this fall, I'm interested to see what happens to the format of the Gold Cup going forward.

Three hosts, 48 teams: how the 226 World Cup will work | Football | The Guardian

Guardian reports say the plan is for MetLife Stadium in New York to host the final.

While it has field turf, it’s outdoors and temporary grass could be brought in if FIFA demands a natural surface.

Personally, I don’t like soccer on field turf as much (the ball bounces and scoots in weird ways), but it’s everywhere in the US. Hard to avoid it.

Cincinnati is a finalist to host. They would have to sell their souls completely to Mike Brown to have any hope

Cincinnati is a finalist to host. They would have to sell their souls completely to Mike Brown to have any hope

This is FIFA and the US Soccer Federation. They’d put their own mothers on the block if they thought there was a dollar in it.

This is FIFA and the US Soccer Federation. They’d put their own mothers on the block if they thought there was a dollar in it.

Should have clarified. City council will have to sell their souls. FIFA can’t be taxed, PBS needs temporary grass and needs to be widened at field level, the Browns will still get all concession revenue... it is almost not worth it