Drew Rom goes in 4th round

MJ23

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im of the belief you look at the decision to go pro or college this way with baseball (specifically pitchers). 3 years from now, which coaching staff will put be in the best position as a pitcher with my mechanics and development. The college staff or the MLB Team farm staff.

Tough call, cause in both cases neither staff may be there for the 3 year term, or from the MLB side, you may night be there due to trade.

What makes it tough is there is good and bad on both sides of the dice in both situations, you have to go with your gut.

Being picked in the 4th round, I think I go the pro route and make sure it is stipulated in my contract that there is money equal to the 4 year value of my full ride to Michigan.

Very similar situation that Eric Glaser had several years ago for the Birds, though he went in round 2.

Congrats to the kid and his family. Always nice to see NKY kids get a shot at the pro level.

If you get drafted in the top 5 rounds or so, you almost have to go pro. There's not a ton of room to improve your draft position, and anything can happen in the 3 years you have to wait before you're elgible to be drafted again. Live the dream. College will still be there if it doesn't work out.

I forget who it was, maybe Snodgrass from the Enquirer, tweeted that he spoke to Rom and Rom confirmed he will sign with Baltimore. As mentioned above, the slot value is in the upper $400K, but that is not the bonus value. Bonus to the 2017 draft pick was $600K, bringing that draftpick, Angels RHP, to over $1M.

If he signs for anything more than $200K he should sign and keep that for school. He can always live his dream today and start school later. This is coming from a guy who is a firm believer in education first. But this would not be a gamble. He would be getting both or a heck of a baseball career.

Congrats! Love to see the local kids go big!