Reds and trouble with developing front line pitching

A coworker and I were discussing this subject the other day. I'm 51 years old, and he's about 5 years older, so he goes back a little further than I do, but we could almost count on one hand the number of #1 or #2 pitchers the Reds organization has developed since 1970. Here is what we came up with.

1. Don Gullett

2. Mario Soto

3. Tom Browning

4. Johnny Cueto

Now there might be 2 or 3 more that some of you all could add, but 4 pitchers in 48 years? That's down right pathetic.

I agree! I could argue that the organization can’t develop any talent. Since 1980 who are elite players that the organization drafted and developed? Eric Davis, Barry Larkin, Joey Votto, Adam Dunn. Is there anyone else ?

They developed a few that ended up in other places.

They developed a few that ended up in other places.

Gregorious, Grandal, Boxberger, Bruce, are all players that came through are system that are producing well now. Who else did we draft that has produced at an elite level? Trevor Hoffman??

A coworker and I were discussing this subject the other day. I'm 51 years old, and he's about 5 years older, so he goes back a little further than I do, but we could almost count on one hand the number of #1 or #2 pitchers the Reds organization has developed since 1970. Here is what we came up with.

1. Don Gullett

2. Mario Soto

3. Tom Browning

4. Johnny Cueto

Now there might be 2 or 3 more that some of you all could add, but 4 pitchers in 48 years? That's down right pathetic.

Bailey but that’s just adding one more. Reds have always seemed to prefer the long ball.