How Far Has Girls Basketball Come?

I was asked this evening by a friend why girls basketball was dropped by the KHSAA in 1932. When searching for the answer I came across the KHSAA Board of Control minutes from November 1, 1932:

(https://khsaa.org/httpdocs/boardofcontrol/minutes/archivecopies/19311932/1932-11-01%20Board%20of%20Control%20Regular%20Meeting.pdf)

It was done with a simple 70-45 vote at the annual meeting to remove from the By-Laws the statement "and a girls" tournament, meaning there would be no further district, regional, or state tournaments for girls. The motion was offered by Walter "Bedie" Thomason, coach of Georgetown High from 1917-1933 and was passed "over the almost tearful protests of Mrs. Frank D. Peterson, coach of the Woodburn Yellow Jackets, who won the girls' championship last season and this year." (Courier-Journal, April 14, 1932).

That led me down an internet rabbit hole of articles from 1974 when girls basketball was reinstated. I then came across this letter to the editor of the Courier-Journal written by Ray Vencill, the boys basketball coach at Elizabethtown High School. Mr. Vencill was no slouch as a coach, compiling a 167-51 record and three regional championships during his eight years (1971-1978) at command of the Panthers.

He was, however, absolutely not feeling the idea of the state legislature requiring schools to offer girls basketball. In fact, he uses many of the same arguments that we still see today when it comes to providing opportunities for minority groups. His argument that adding girls basketball would make Kentucky's basketball like Tennessee's (overall very poor) made me laugh. His description of Kentucky as being home to fast horses and fine looking women was a touch cringe-worthy and came right out of the 70s.

The biggest thing to me was how far women's basketball has come in response to statements like that of Mr. Vencill. While his name is signed, he certainly wasn't the only one who felt that way. For over forty years there had been no sponsored championship for girls basketball (although some did still field teams and play games). Now over forty years have passed and the women's game is producing higher quality players and teams every season. My how times have changed.

Girls Basketball.jpg

Here is an interesting thought. Has Title IX helped or hindered girls basketball?

Considering there are still schools out there that struggle with the concept of equal opportunity for the girls' teams as opposed to the boys' teams, I'd say yes. Some areas wouldn't have even bothered with girls' sports had they not been forced to.

How many of those are played during basketball season?

I understand what you mean by that except for the emergence of those other sports due to Title IX and college scholarships has caused people to push their kids towards just playing one sport and basketball has absolutely suffered as a result!

It has hurt it to the extent that Field Hockey, Lacrosse, Volleyball and Soccer have taken kids away from the sport!

Field hockey and lacrosse are not options at most schools in Ky, so those sports' impact would be minimum. Soccer would seem to hurt softball and T/F more because soccer's club season is spring.

Now volleyball, that's a different story. Used to be the only sport option for tall girls was hoops. Many of those tall girls didn't like all the contact that comes with being one of the tall girls on the court and chose volleyball instead, and VB has club season in the winter.

Field hockey and lacrosse are not options at most schools in Ky, so those sports' impact would be minimum. Soccer would seem to hurt softball and T/F more because soccer's club season is spring.

Now volleyball, that's a different story. Used to be the only sport option for tall girls was hoops. Many of those tall girls didn't like all the contact that comes with being one of the tall girls on the court and chose volleyball instead, and VB has club season in the winter.

Agree completely on volleyball. To be sure, it is the number 1 sport/issue that is taking away from HS basketball, at least in Kentucky, in my opinion.

However, you mention soccer and while it might take away from softball, it also takes away from basketball because the AAU basketball seasons and club soccer seasons overlap in the Spring as well. The move to make kids decide on one sport year-round, has taken away from HS basketball with soccer kids, as well as volleyball kids. At least, this is what I see with my own experience in those arenas.

Considering the number of middle school girls that are on Varsity rosters, let along the amount of them that actually see semi decent playing time. I would question if its really improved as a whole. The game play has certainly gotten better no question, but overall, not sure.