Was the 2017 Covington Catholic team the best in school history?

Was the 2017 CCH team the best in program history?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Was the 2017 CCH team the best in program history?

This article was posted on BGP several months back and garnered a decent amount of debate.

After the dust of the 2017 has all settled and the dust for the 2018 season kicks up, I thought I would bring the discussion back up. Was the 2017 team - the team that went 15-0 with running clocks against every Kentucky opponent they faced - the best in the history of the Covington Catholic football program?

Covington Catholic makes case for best Northern Kentucky football team ever - Insider - Story

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This article was posted on BGP several months back and garnered a decent amount of debate.

After the dust of the 2017 has all settled and the dust for the 2018 season kicks up, I thought I would bring the discussion back up. Was the 2017 team - the team that went 15-0 with running clocks against every Kentucky opponent they faced - the best in the history of the Covington Catholic football program?

Covington Catholic makes case for best Northern Kentucky football team ever - Insider - Story

Can you post the link to the old BGP thread? There is probably some good data about other CCH teams in that thread.

Has any other team in NKY history put a running clock on every Kentucky opponent they played? Tough to argue against the 2017 team.

I say best in Cov Cath history for sure, it's hard to argue against that.

Best in NKY history? Its up for debate but there are some pretty good resumes out there. I will say they are in that top group that probably includes 5 teams or so. All those teams are undefeated state champions that dominated, each has their arguments.

What Cov Cath team would be a challenger to this years Colonels?

1997 Lost to Highlands in the regular season, but that Highlands team may have been one of the best Highlands teams ever on paper. Plus they pulled of the legendary Mud Bowl.

2006 Won state and swept Highlands but had 3 losses. Two of those losses were to Elder and Cincy St X though.

I don't know much of the late 80s early 90s Cov Cath teams that were state champs.

What Cov Cath team would be a challenger to this years Colonels?

1997 Lost to Highlands in the regular season, but that Highlands team may have been one of the best Highlands teams ever on paper. Plus they pulled of the legendary Mud Bowl.

2006 Won state and swept Highlands but had 3 losses. Two of those losses were to Elder and Cincy St X though.

I don't know much of the late 80s early 90s Cov Cath teams that were state champs.

2006 was solid, but I don’t think 2017 loses to Bishop Watterson or probably Elder like the 2006 team did.

To really answer the posed question you have to be able to answer a different question first.

Which is better:

A. Playing very competitive teams all season long and perhaps losing or barely winning a few games, and winning a state title

or

B. Playing not very competitive teams and beating the pants off of most of them, and winning a state title.

Has any other team in NKY history put a running clock on every Kentucky opponent they played? Tough to argue against the 2017 team.

I can't answer your question but remember the running clock didn't come in until 2001 (I think) and had a 45 point threshold when first adopted.