Ohio's New Transfer Rule

OHSAA changed their transfer rule. For the last couple of years if you transferred yet didn't meet one of the exceptions (ex: change of residence) you had to sit out the FIRST half of the season.

Schools complained , especially regarding basketball, so the OHSAA changed the rule so that the player now sits out the LAST half of the season including the tourney.

Better than KHSAA policy? Worse?

How so?

If I am following and if someone transfers and if it doesn't meet the "legal transfer" criteria are you saying you can play immediately (the first half of the season) but then you have to sit out the second half and postseason? In other words, you can play, then you can't play, then you can play again if there is another sport or you have another year left? If that is right that sounds CRAZY stupid.

If I am following and if someone transfers and if it doesn't meet the "legal transfer" criteria are you saying you can play immediately (the first half of the season) but then you have to sit out the second half and postseason? In other words, you can play, then you can't play, then you can play again if there is another sport or you have another year left? If that is right that sounds CRAZY stupid.

That's how I read it too, makes no sense.

No way this is true. Change of school district has to be a legal transfer.

I know of 4 individuals in the last year that were all denied approval to play from OHSAA that moved from one part of Ohio to another and were denied. We are talking multiple hour drive moves too, not just across town moves. All 4 were told in their denial that the move had to be from out of state in order to be eligible.

I know of 4 individuals in the last year that were all denied approval to play from OHSAA that moved from one part of Ohio to another and were denied. We are talking multiple hour drive moves too, not just across town moves. All 4 were told in their denial that the move had to be from out of state in order to be eligible.

That would mean that someone moving from NKY to Cincy would be ruled eligible, but someone moving from Cleveland to Cincy would not. I find that hard to believe.

Not saying it is right but the crossing the state line making it "legal" would be consistent with some of their other rules regarding eligibility. Ex: My kid who lives in NKY 20 minutes away from St. X isn't eligible to play sports there but a kid whose home address was Cleveland would be eligible.

The rules only hurt the kids that have to transfer schools for the right reason. I personally feel like every transfer should be handled within the school districts on a case by case basis. Not every transfer is the same and should be reviewed individually

Is there anyone who can link the specific language of the legal transfer ? If what was mentioned above turns out to be true, You will see a lot of players leaving the state IMO. If moving from Columbus to Cincy and you are denied eligibility, why not cross the river into a Ky school that allows open enrollment? Does anyone know the Ky rule about being able to live in Ohio and open enroll in Ky?