Head Coaches in the NBA

Some will argue that it's a players league and the coaches don't matter. Then you have some coaches that seem to get more out of their teams than talent would suggest they should.

So...

How important are head coaches in the NBA?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Head coaches are extremely important. Being able to get a bunch of millionaires to buy in, listen and execute what you are preaching is hard as hell. I’d argue that Boston and Golden State aren’t where they are without Brad Stevens and Steve Kerr.

Listening to Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy talk about how there are two excellent coaches in the Cavs vs. Celtics series made me gag. They can't really believe what they were saying, can they? Went on to say Lue doesn't get enough credit because all great coaches have great players.

In order, the level of importance by each of the major sports with coaching goes 1) Football, 2) Basketball, 3) Baseball.

However, the most important ability at the professional level is being able to manage egos and get a group of guys that make millions of dollars more than you to buy into the collective game plan.

Listening to Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy talk about how there are two excellent coaches in the Cavs vs. Celtics series made me gag. They can't really believe what they were saying, can they? Went on to say Lue doesn't get enough credit because all great coaches have great players.

He doesn’t get enough credit. I agree with them.

You would know better than me. Maybe I feel to the trap of talking heads, but seemed like he was just there and wouldn't be called "excellent" by anyone.

I think he is a better coach than he gets credit for and I don’t understand why he doesn’t get that credit. Well, I kind of get why he doesn’t get that credit but IMO he deserves a lot of credit for Cleveland’s success.

I think he is a better coach than he gets credit for and I don’t understand why he doesn’t get that credit. Well, I kind of get why he doesn’t get that credit but IMO he deserves a lot of credit for Cleveland’s success.

LeBron coaches the Cavs.