Speed Cameras!

Jumper_Dad

Just found out our spring break trip cost me an extra $110.00. We received a ticket in the mail from some company in Ohio for speeding through an itty-bitty town in Alabama, Brantley.

Yep I'm guilty, no doubt that early in the morning on an empty road I was going a bit over the 35mph speed limit heading out of town.

I read online the first 12 hours they tested the cameras they found 193 cars at least 11 miles over the speed limit.

The city allegedly only makes $15 per ticket and the rest goes to the Ohio company... $95 per ticket.

My only gripe is that I saw no signs saying speed cameras were present. The city stated when the cameras went in it was to slow traffic down going through thier city. But you aren't going to slow anyone down if you don't warn them.

This little town is on the main state highway from Montgomery to the Destin-Panama City area. I'm sure they slay the tourist passing through.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speed limit posted was your warning. Chicago uses the cameras for running stop lights. Better pay the man since you broke the law.

:lol2:

True, but there are 20,000,000 speed limit signs in the country. If this town really wants to slow people down they would post a bigger or better warning about the cameras which would slow traffic down. By just sticking the cameras out there I have to think it's more about the $200-$300 a day they are collecting.

FWIW I have no issue paying my tickets, this would be the first one in over 20 years.

You don’t get a warning that cops may be present when you are caught speeding, not sure why anyone would expect to have a warning of cameras.

Aw an aside, I seriously do not understand people who are upset when caught speeding. It’s not like it’s not posted. You can think it’s stupid all you want. But it is what it is and you should not blame anyone but yourself if you are caught. (“You” is used collectively here)

You don’t get a warning that cops may be present when you are caught speeding, not sure why anyone would expect to have a warning of cameras.

Aw an aside, I seriously do not understand people who are upset when caught speeding. It’s not like it’s not posted. You can think it’s stupid all you want. But it is what it is and you should not blame anyone but yourself if you are caught. (“You” is used collectively here)

True and I'm not even upset about it. When a police officer catches you speeding you at least have a chance to see them before they see you...:lol2:

I was just wondering what others thought about speed cameras and was wanting to discuss them.

I watched traffic closely the last few days as I went from Somerset to Louisville to Indianapolis to Cincinatti back to Somerset, the average speed seems to be right at 10-13 miles over the speed limit for the vast majority of drivers. Imagine if a speed camera was placed on the interstate on your way to work and caught you speeding each way to work for several days before you got the first notice. You could have 20 or 30 tickets accumilated before you even knew there was one there.

True and I'm not even upset about it. When a police officer catches you speeding you at least have a chance to see them before they see you...:lol2:

I was just wondering what others thought about speed cameras and was wanting to discuss them.

I watched traffic closely the last few days as I went from Somerset to Louisville to Indianapolis to Cincinatti back to Somerset, the average speed seems to be right at 10-13 miles over the speed limit for the vast majority of drivers. Imagine if a speed camera was placed on the interstate on your way to work and caught you speeding each way to work for several days before you got the first notice. You could have 20 or 30 tickets accumilated before you even knew there was one there.

I agree, plus police officers will sometimes give a warning over a ticket. Not a fan of speed cameras. It's no wonder 13 states have passed laws that prohibit the use of speed cameras. More states need to get on board.

Seriously, don’t pay that ticket. Unless you plan on moving to Alabama and registering a vehicle there, absolutely no reason to pay it.

I was just reading on the back of the letter and it says this information WILL NOT be forwarded your insurance company or the Dept of Public Safety Division of Motor Vehicles. It states this is a Civil Penalty, I guess that is like not having a dog license.

Seriously, don’t pay that ticket. Unless you plan on moving to Alabama and registering a vehicle there, absolutely no reason to pay it.

Some states have reciprocal agreements.

:lol2:

True, but there are 20,000,000 speed limit signs in the country. If this town really wants to slow people down they would post a bigger or better warning about the cameras which would slow traffic down. By just sticking the cameras out there I have to think it's more about the $200-$300 a day they are collecting.

FWIW I have no issue paying my tickets, this would be the first one in over 20 years.

I got hit up by a red light cam in Chicago. Had to pay that fine and hertz charged me for tracking me down.

Didnt the bulldog Eric Deters want to fight a ticket he got in independence? Said he drove it everyday and it was a speed trap. Well if you know the speed limit its not really a speed trap.

I was just reading on the back of the letter and it says this information WILL NOT be forwarded your insurance company or the Dept of Public Safety Division of Motor Vehicles. It states this is a Civil Penalty, I guess that is like not having a dog license.

Right, this is my understanding of the difference meaning if the powers that be want to do anything to you for failing to pay the fine they have to do it in civil court and not criminal like they would if a police officer issued the ticket.

I wouldn't pay it.

I have always thought this practice is a gross abuse of governmental authority.

What are the cameras/government going to do next, send you a $300 ticket for jaywalking because you crossed a street improperly.