Another California School Shooting 5/11/18

plantmanky

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turns out it was indeed a 14 year old former student that had recently transferred out. He brought an SKS rifle to the campus and fired about 10 rounds. The shooter's mom called a family friend that was an LAPD officer early Friday morning telling him she was having trouble with him and that he'd run off from the house. Not long after the shooting the kids dad called saying something about the kid said he shot the riffle in the air. The off duty officer found the boy in the supermarket parking lot.

One student was wounded, a 15 year old, they are expected to fully recover. Thankfully no one was killed.

I can't begin to understand what's causing kids to commit such horrible acts.

Turns out it was indeed a 14 year old former student that had recently transferred out. He brought an SKS rifle to the campus and fired about 10 rounds. The shooter's mom called a family friend that was an LAPD officer early Friday morning telling him she was having trouble with him and that he'd run off from the house. Not long after the shooting the kids dad called saying something about the kid said he shot the riffle in the air. The off duty officer found the boy in the supermarket parking lot.

One student was wounded, a 15 year old, they are expected to fully recover. Thankfully no one was killed.

I can't begin to understand what's causing kids to commit such horrible acts.

I can, we keep plastering them out there on the 24 hour news cycle. Monkey see monkey do.

I do think that's part of the problem. But there's got to be more to it than just that.

Not really, its the cool thing to do right now.

That's silly. It may not help but it's certainly not the cause. I see these reports. You see these reports. We don't shoot up places. So it's not just seeing it.

I'm glad I can't imagine what it would take to cause one to get to the point of making such a decision. SO many factors and to try to narrow it down to one simple "it's cool" answer is going to require some more thought.

That's silly. It may not help but it's certainly not the cause. I see these reports. You see these reports. We don't shoot up places. So it's not just seeing it.

I'm glad I can't imagine what it would take to cause one to get to the point of making such a decision. SO many factors and to try to narrow it down to one simple "it's cool" answer is going to require some more thought.

I agree, I think it's many factors. Including mental stability or the lack thereof.

I think that there is a growing negativity toward the institution of school. Students don’t understand the benefits of attending school and they don’t appreciate the learning that happens in school. They don’t have parents who support the schools and who acknowledge the student growth and achievement in schools.

Couple this with an overwhelming entitlement and “I don’t have to do it”, mentality, and you have students who have a twisted idea of how to move past personal set backs in school and in life.

I think that there is a growing negativity toward the institution of school. Students don’t understand the benefits of attending school and they don’t appreciate the learning that happens in school. They don’t have parents who support the schools and who acknowledge the student growth and achievement in schools.

Couple this with an overwhelming entitlement and “I don’t have to do it”, mentality, and you have students who have a twisted idea of how to move past personal set backs in school and in life.

Back in the day in rural Kentucky, there was an awful lot of folks who didn't see no need for no book 'larnin. Still a lot of them out there, just not as many as there used to be. I know adults who can't read or write.