Edited by Runcible Owl
Added bracket link.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a long time official and sports advocate, now is the time for the KHSAA to start seeding of tournaments. I just watched the baseball draw and the 6th and 7th region drew each other again in the first round. The 8th drew the 9th and potentially Simon Kenton, last years runner up.. You potentially could have the winners of 4 out of the last 5 state titles face off in the first round with St X and PRP, currently ranked 1st and 2nd in the state. In basketball, Trinity and Scott County faced off in the 1st round of the sweet 16,, ranked 1 and 2. While it makes for great drama in the first round, it puts the other 14 regions at an advantage by possibly not using their #1 until later in the tournament. The baseball coaches and Bluegrass preps put out a poll every week so we know who the top teams are. Even if you seed only the top four so they won't meet until the semifinals.

As a long time official and sports advocate, now is the time for the KHSAA to start seeding of tournaments. I just watched the baseball draw and the 6th and 7th region drew each other again in the first round. The 8th drew the 9th and potentially Simon Kenton, last years runner up.. You potentially could have the winners of 4 out of the last 5 state titles face off in the first round with St X and PRP, currently ranked 1st and 2nd in the state. In basketball, Trinity and Scott County faced off in the 1st round of the sweet 16,, ranked 1 and 2. While it makes for great drama in the first round, it puts the other 14 regions at an advantage by possibly not using their #1 until later in the tournament. The baseball coaches and Bluegrass preps put out a poll every week so we know who the top teams are. Even if you seed only the top four so they won't meet until the semifinals.

1000 percent agree with this. Pretty good chance St. X and PRP stay 1 and 2 in the state polls through the end of the season, and if both get through their regions, they will play in the first round. Same thing happened last year with Trinity and McCracken County. I'd like to know how many other states use a blind draw to seed any post season tournament. It's come to the point of being ridiculous.

• 4 weeks later...

Bracket is complete - Updated, through May 3, 2018.

Bracket link will update automatically through the tournament -

https://khsaa.org/baseball/2018/statebaseballbracket.pdf

1st round upper bracket games - Thursday, June 7.

Greenup Co., R16 vs. Muhlenberg Co., R3 @ 11:00 am

Corbin, R14 ​vs. Hazard, R13 @ 12:30 pm

Pleasure Ridge Park, R6 vs. St. Xavier @ 6:00 pm

LaRue Co., R5 vs. Boyle Co., R12 @ 8:30 pm

1st round lower bracket games - Friday, June 8.

Highlands, R9 vs. South Oldham, R8 @ 11:00 am

Johnson Central, R15 vs. Christian Co., R2 @1:30 pm

Campbell Co., R10 vs. McCracken Co., R1 @ 6:00 pm

Madison Central, R11 vs. Bowling Green, R4 @ 8:30 pm

Edited by Runcible Owl
Updated.

1000 percent agree with this. Pretty good chance St. X and PRP stay 1 and 2 in the state polls through the end of the season, and if both get through their regions, they will play in the first round. Same thing happened last year with Trinity and McCracken County. I'd like to know how many other states use a blind draw to seed any post season tournament. It's come to the point of being ridiculous.

As my good friend noted on Twitter, back in March the No.1 and No.2 teams in the state met in the first round of the SW16 basketball tourney. Neither of those teams won the state title. Win the game directly in front of you, and the rest will take care of itself if you're good enough. If that's not good enough for you, get over it. It's how we do things here.

Edited by Runcible Owl

As my good friend noted on Twitter, back in March the No.1 and No.2 teams in the state met in the first round of the SW16 basketball tourney. Neither of those teams won the state title. Win the game directly in front of you, and the rest will take care of itself if you're good enough. If that's not good enough for you, get over it. It's how we do things here.

"It's how we do things here"

Translation: We're too lazy to come up with something better.

"It's how we do things here"

Translation: We're too lazy to come up with something better.

Look, I am definitely from the camp of the worst reason to keep doing something is because it's always been done that way. With that in mind, understand that I think the tradition is a good one, since there's no real equitable and 100 percent accurate way to rank the teams. Go to any of the football and HS hoops forums and watch how people complain about the computer rankings, and ask yourself how that might work with something as big as the Sweet 16.

Look, I am definitely from the camp of the worst reason to keep doing something is because it's always been done that way. With that in mind, understand that I think the tradition is a good one, since there's no real equitable and 100 percent accurate way to rank the teams. Go to any of the football and HS hoops forums and watch how people complain about the computer rankings, and ask yourself how that might work with something as big as the Sweet 16.

Seeding/rankings will always be subject to debate, but that's not a reason to not do it. NCAA does it every year, and yes some will complain but that's just the way it is and you live with it. To use a blind draw that makes your body of work in the regular season virtually meaningless is lazy. Teams should be rewarded for what they do in the regular season in my opinion.