Charles Bassey Reclassifying to play for WKU?

ACfan4

Sounds like the #3 player in 2019 may be reclassifying to 2018 to play for WKU. This is from Kentucky Prep Report on twitter.

"From everything we have heard the last 2 weeks, we feel 100% confident in saying that top 5 2019 player, Charles Bassey will re-class to 2018 & play for Western Kentucky Univ in 18-19".Not sure on official announcement date @KYSportsradio @bgpreps @Fansofku @realdyates @kyhighs

Twitter

Sounds like the #3 player in 2019 may be reclassifying to 2018 to play for WKU. This is from Kentucky Prep Report on twitter.

"From everything we have heard the last 2 weeks, we feel 100% confident in saying that top 5 2019 player, Charles Bassey will re-class to 2018 & play for Western Kentucky Univ in 18-19".Not sure on official announcement date @KYSportsradio @bgpreps @Fansofku @realdyates @kyhighs

Twitter

"People said the same stuff about Mitchell Robinson last year. At some point, people will just have to learn that Stansbury is an ace recruiter who works on connections constantly. WKU has a guy on our team now who played under the same coach/handler that Bassey plays for. Two years ago we also had a guy from the same coach. Stansbury has been working on the Bassey lead for at least two or three years."

@CyrusJS reported it first...good call

"People said the same stuff about Mitchell Robinson last year. At some point, people will just have to learn that Stansbury is an ace recruiter who works on connections constantly. WKU has a guy on our team now who played under the same coach/handler that Bassey plays for. Two years ago we also had a guy from the same coach. Stansbury has been working on the Bassey lead for at least two or three years."

@CyrusJS reported it first...good call

I certainly don't take credit for reporting it first. Maybe on this forum, but there has been talk from national media for at least a year now. The tweet in question was deleted soon after it being posted. Not sure how reputable that account is. They may just be posting what looks inevitable.

Stansbury was watching Bassey for a couple days over this weekend. However, so was Bill Self and Chris Mack.

Wonder who worked this deal out?

Likely Bassey's Handler/legal gaurdian Hennssy Auriantal, who is also the owner of Bassey's prep team Aspire Academy. WKU took a couple players with Auriantal conections over the last couple years including 4* Moustapha Diagne. Stansbury started a guy a couple years ago that wasn't very good, likely as a way to keep Auriantal happy and the ties to Bassey strong during what was a rebuilding year for us. Some rumors going around that Auriantal will be added as an assistant coach at WKU in order to seal the deal with Bassey.

As far as "red-flags" go, that was cleared up last year by Moustapha Diagne being investigated for amateurism rules due to Auriantal paying for his tuition his first year at WKU when he had to sit out. He was ruled eligible and that everything was by the books. Same with his academics. Bassey should be good to go if he reclassifies.

• 1 month later...
His legal guardian will be on staff at WKU.

I know I've heard this is apparently accepted practice but it just seems a little off to me. Not saying that it doesn't happen a lot, but it just wouldn't sit well with me. Did the "new coach" get a signing bonus? What was his prior employment? All questions I feel are better left not being questioned because of the situation created under those circumstances.

Congrats to the young man and WKU.

Great day to be a Hilltopper! One 5*, Four 4*'s, and several 3*'s on roster this coming year, plus a starter from Auburn. I'll wait until we see this group play until I make any predictions, but this could be a SPECIAL team if they all end sticking around (cough Mitchell Robinson cough)