Ford to stop making all but two cars for North America

Jumper_Dad

Ford Motors announced that starting in 2020 they will only be selling two car models in the US, The Focus Active and the iconic Mustang. Ford will focus production on SUV's, Trucks and Crossover vehicles in North America. No word yet if the Lincoln brand will be reducing the number of cars in their lineup. GM Spokesman has said this shift has been coming for a while and that GM will likely move in that direction also over the coming years.

Ford is basically giving up on US car business; GM isn't far behind

Surprised but not surprised. I manage digital marketing campaigns for dealerships across the country, and dealers basically can’t give away Fusions or Tauruses, and the margins are super thin (sometimes losing money)on Focus and Fiesta. And search volume online is way lower than trucks and SUV’s, so much much so, they often invest little to no money on those models. Still, it’s hard to believe they wouldn’t keep at least one midsize, sedan in the lineup.

Ford makes all their money in trucks. Probably a smart business move overall.

That said, I love my '14 Fusion.

So does my wife, solid car. Yet, Ford is still going to crank out the Focus as a "crossover" with that awful dual clutch automatic transmission that still has not been perfected. LOTS of issues with that tranny.

Ford makes all their money in trucks. Probably a smart business move overall.

That said, I love my '14 Fusion.

So does my wife, solid car. Yet, Ford is still going to crank out the Focus as a "crossover" with that awful dual clutch automatic transmission that still has not been perfected. LOTS of issues with that tranny.

What is your wife doing in @TheDeuce's car? :lol2:

We worked with the Ford truck plant on their expansion a couple of years ago in Louisville. They can't make enough of those large full-size pickups to meet demand. And the profit margin on those is huge. There is almost no profit in the small car segment and it's been that way for a long time. I read that article earlier today and Ford is stating billions of dollars in cost savings. but like was mentioned above would be hard to not see a midsize offering.

We worked with the Ford truck plant on their expansion a couple of years ago in Louisville. They can't make enough of those large full-size pickups to meet demand. And the profit margin on those is huge. There is almost no profit in the small car segment and it's been that way for a long time. I read that article earlier today and Ford is stating billions of dollars in cost savings. but like was mentioned above would be hard to not see a midsize offering.

My good friend is a super at FTP. He told me a while ago the number of trucks they had on order and it was an absurd number.

My good friend is a super at FTP. He told me a while ago the number of trucks they had on order and it was an absurd number.

I was told while there that if they wanted, Ford could sell every truck that came off the line to just China. Wow.