Is it time for Krumps?

Every year Covington Catholic has the best crop of male athletes in the ninth region, in NKY, and very seldom do they win the region in baseball. What makes me think it is time for him, (krumps), to go, resign, get fired... is that with this talent pool every year, with all the players they have... he comes up lacking. They have hired a young progressive basketball coach and what?.... he has turned them into a perennial powerhouse. They took decent football program, hired a young progressive coach and he turned them into a powerhouse. You have the same athletes year in and year out and you put a (with all do respect) a relic of a coach on the bench and you get the same result year in and year out. He cuts kids he shouldn't cut, he plays kids that shouldn't be playing, and he bunts we he shouldn't, he bunts when he shouldn't, he bunts when should not and he doesn't bunt when he should. It MIGHT be time to put a younger, more progressive mind at the helm. Or, does a person like this decide when HE wants to leave? And, before you can respond with records of the past.... wouldn't any coach have those records if they coached there?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are similar situations at other nky schools. You can take the same thing written for cov cath and just change the coach name and school. Coaching techniques of 25 years ago do not match the game today or more importantly the players of today. All you have to do is look on twitter and see where coaches are posting about their team in an effort to help the kids get to the next level. They are doing that for the kids. I think some of these old coaches forgot that the game is for the kids to learn and grow as young men and prepare them for life. This involves encouragement and a coach that respects their players.

There are similar situations at other nky schools. You can take the same thing written for cov cath and just change the coach name and school. Coaching techniques of 25 years ago do not match the game today or more importantly the players of today. All you have to do is look on twitter and see where coaches are posting about their team in an effort to help the kids get to the next level. They are doing that for the kids. I think some of these old coaches forgot that the game is for the kids to learn and grow as young men and prepare them for life. This involves encouragement and a coach that respects their players.

IMO this is one of the best paragraphs I've read on BGP!!

I’m certain that the dads of many current, former and future players are reading this and biting their collective tongues.

It’s an easy answer: Of Course it’s time for him to go.

He has long forgotten that this is about developing young men and demonstrating the proper leadership behaviors.

And, as was the premise of the string, with the talent at CCH, there would be many more regional trophies in the display with a new approach.

Maybe so. I just don’t think it has as much to do with regional championships as it does playing time.

Only Highlands has won a 9th Region recently. So only one coach knows what he’s doing in the region? I think all of the D1 signings at Highlands indicates that CovCath does not have superior talent.

Coach Krumps has been around here long enough that in the end, HE is the one who gets to make the decision on when he does or doesn't hand over the reins of the baseball program.

Unfortunately for the sake of the success of CCH's baseball program in regions and beyond, Coach Krumps is the one who gets to make the decision on when he does or doesn't hand over the reins of the baseball program.

Would anyone else like to violate Rule 2, Rule 5, or Rule 14? You will be suspended.

2. No disparaging, taunting, or boastful comments--especially between opponents trying to intimidate each other. This includes, name calling or personal attacks toward any member, username, team, or school. Additionally this includes a pattern of posts that inflames or incites other posters (i.e. trolling or gaslighting). Also, keeping in mind the youth of our student athletes, excessive "bashing" of high school athletes is prohibited. Do not comment on the manner in which another member has posted, or any violations you find in their posts. Such public remarks will be considered a violation under this rule. If you feel that a specific post violates our rules, please report it using the "Report Post" feature which is located under the username in every post.

5. No comments, whatsoever, about any member's true identity in any public forum on BGP. This includes any question, hint (whether true or not), attempt to divulge, or attempt to determine a user's identity posted in any BGP forum.

14. If you repost or quote content that is against the rules, you are similarly as guilty, and face the identical consequences as the member who originated it.

Covcath is talented, but has their talent over the last 10 years been superior to other teams in the region? I don't think so. Can someone name a year where you can say for a fact they were the most talented team in the region and came up short? It seems to me the most talented has been either Highlands and Beechwood over the last 10 years and can just look at the top players they have sent to big colleges.

So I am not sure what exactly someone is looking for here. In reality while they have been talented they haven't been the most talented team in the region like we have seen in football and basketball recently.

Has Covcath even missed making the region since 2004 when they lost to Ludlow in the district? Which by the way coaching had zero reason they lost that day. In a 1 and out situation those things happen. Not to mention he has one of the only state championships in 9th region history. As much talent these Highlands teams have had, they still havent won it all. I know the mentality of today is well if something doesn't work, it must be the coach and someone else can easily do better. Hence the reason more and more people keep getting out of coaching, while more and more people sit back and say all the things a coach does wrong, while not being willing to put all the countless hours in many of these coaches do. Most of the people quick to bash a coach are sitting at home with their families eating dinner, while the coach is still doing coach things and not getting to spend time with their own family while getting paid what equated to usually 2 dollars an hour.

Sorry for my rant but it seems we keep hearing more and more people talk about all the bad things a coach does anymore, even if they are a good coach which Krump is. Yet somehow now it's he can't coach in today's age? All because Covcath hasn't been able to win a region over teams who have more talent than them. He is a good coach who gives his team a shot to possibly win the region every year, even if they are not as talented as a highlands or Beechwood currently.

Is Krump a good coach??? I believe that is the question on the table.

Ok, so, considering the Guru's kind reminder of the rules, how do you now measure the success of a coach? I disagree that just because a coach has been in a role for a long time that he, and only he, should decide when it's time to go. We all know high school teachers that exemplify that tenure is not necessarily a measure of success but they were there because they had tenure. But we all knew that teacher wasn't really teaching us anything. I suspect that to be the case whether public or private school. And, after all, we are talking high school.

Blindness from school pride bias? Being proud of a progam is one thing and my guess is we all have a soft spot for a one program or another. But allowing that to cloud judgment could be a far worse crime for your kids.

So, again, in today's environment, especially in a private school setting, what is the measure of success?

Covcath is talented, but has their talent over the last 10 years been superior to other teams in the region? I don't think so. Can someone name a year where you can say for a fact they were the most talented team in the region and came up short? It seems to me the most talented has been either Highlands and Beechwood over the last 10 years and can just look at the top players they have sent to big colleges.

So I am not sure what exactly someone is looking for here. In reality while they have been talented they haven't been the most talented team in the region like we have seen in football and basketball recently.

Has Covcath even missed making the region since 2004 when they lost to Ludlow in the district? Which by the way coaching had zero reason they lost that day. In a 1 and out situation those things happen. Not to mention he has one of the only state championships in 9th region history. As much talent these Highlands teams have had, they still havent won it all. I know the mentality of today is well if something doesn't work, it must be the coach and someone else can easily do better. Hence the reason more and more people keep getting out of coaching, while more and more people sit back and say all the things a coach does wrong, while not being willing to put all the countless hours in many of these coaches do. Most of the people quick to bash a coach are sitting at home with their families eating dinner, while the coach is still doing coach things and not getting to spend time with their own family while getting paid what equated to usually 2 dollars an hour.

Sorry for my rant but it seems we keep hearing more and more people talk about all the bad things a coach does anymore, even if they are a good coach which Krump is. Yet somehow now it's he can't coach in today's age? All because Covcath hasn't been able to win a region over teams who have more talent than them. He is a good coach who gives his team a shot to possibly win the region every year, even if they are not as talented as a highlands or Beechwood currently.

Who are all the top players Highlands has sent to "big" colleges over the last 10 years?

Every year Covington Catholic has the best crop of male athletes in the ninth region, in NKY, and very seldom do they win the region in baseball. What makes me think it is time for him, (krumps), to go, resign, get fired... is that with this talent pool every year, with all the players they have... he comes up lacking. They have hired a young progressive basketball coach and what?.... he has turned them into a perennial powerhouse. They took decent football program, hired a young progressive coach and he turned them into a powerhouse. You have the same athletes year in and year out and you put a (with all do respect) a relic of a coach on the bench and you get the same result year in and year out. He cuts kids he shouldn't cut, he plays kids that shouldn't be playing, and he bunts we he shouldn't, he bunts when he shouldn't, he bunts when should not and he doesn't bunt when he should. It MIGHT be time to put a younger, more progressive mind at the helm. Or, does a person like this decide when HE wants to leave? And, before you can respond with records of the past.... wouldn't any coach have those records if they coached there?

What kids got cut that shouldn’t and vice versa?

Maybe so. I just don’t think it has as much to do with regional championships as it does playing time.

Only Highlands has won a 9th Region recently. So only one coach knows what he’s doing in the region? I think all of the D1 signings at Highlands indicates that CovCath does not have superior talent.

All of Cov Caths talent was on display last night. ..... along with all of Highlands "d1" talent. I would say that Cov Cath has superior talent.