Cards at Reds 4/13-4/16

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of today's usual game thread talk is in this thread:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/major-league-baseball/bryan-price-is-364677.html

Good job starting a thread for the series.

I will post again here where the discussion is more appropriate ...

What time frame of stats are important when making out a lineup? Should the manager look at who had a good night the previous game, a good week, a good month? Obviously career stats and matchups are important. But for those players where it is more iffy, what stats would you look at when you make out a lineup?

In fact, let's do this. Make out your lineup for tonight. And keep Votto out of it because you agreed before the season started that this would be a day off for him.

A lot of today's usual game thread talk is in this thread:

http://bluegrasspreps.com/major-league-baseball/bryan-price-is-364677.html

Good job starting a thread for the series.

I will post again here where the discussion is more appropriate ...

What time frame of stats are important when making out a lineup? Should the manager look at who had a good night the previous game, a good week, a good month? Obviously career stats and matchups are important. But for those players where it is more iffy, what stats would you look at when you make out a lineup?

In fact, let's do this. Make out your lineup for tonight. And keep Votto out of it because you agreed before the season started that this would be a day off for him.

I think there should be 5-6 guys that are in the lineup everyday unless you have a specific day where you plan to give him rest I.e. Votto today. The other 2-3 spots in the lineup should fluctuate daily. If someone comes off the bench the night before and has a huge pinch hit, they need to be in the lineup the next day (unless there is an obvious matchup reason not to) if someone went 0 for the night before with a couple strikeouts sit them down. For the Reds this year the guys that should be in the lineup day in and day out Winker, Suarez (when healthy), Votto, Schebler (when healthy). Everybody else should rotate every single day based on some sort of criteria.

I think perhaps the most important spot in the batting order is leadoff. Teams with really good leadoff hitters usually are good offensive teams. I would put Winker at leadoff and leave him alone. My lineup starts there.

#2 in my order is Suarez when healthy. Good OBP and solid hitter. Plus he is a righty and that splits lefties Winker and Votto, who obviously is everyone's #3 hitter.

Cleanup is Scooter Gennett. Dude batted .349 last year with runners in scoring position. Good protection for Votto.

That top 4 is locked in. Don't mess with it.

I lean toward Barnhart at #5. Not a lot of power but good solid at bats, good OBP, and best of the rest with runners in scoring position.

#6 is a platoon of Duvall and Schebler plus Hamilton. If both are playing I would go with Duvall at 6 and Schebler at 7 to break up the lefties.

I would go with Peraza at 7 or 8, depending on whether Hamilton is playing.

If Hamilton plays he hits 9.

Exact same pitch and location the ump called Blandino out on strikes, is a ball to the first Cardinal hitter the next inning.

Rookies get no breaks. He has not had a hot all year. Has a guy ever been called up without a hit in the minors that was not a pitcher?