2018 US Open Cup

Getslow

Draw held earlier this afternoon.

Amateur divisions, semipro divisions and professional Division II (USL) teams will be entered by the second round.

Of local interest:

Louisville City FC will play the winner of the first round game between Kingston Stockade FC (NPSL) and Long Island Rough Riders (PDL).

FC Cincinnati will play either Detroit City FC (NPSL) or Michigan Bucks (PDL).

First round games will be held the week of May 9, with USL teams entering the second round the week of May 16.

This is the 105th US Open Cup, making it one of the oldest club soccer competitions in the world. I love this tournament. It was better when NASL was around and so there were more levels to it, and there are things they could do to make it better, but it’s still a really great event.

When tiny Christos FC from Baltimore scored to take an early 1-0 lead last season, I’ve never heard a noise quite like it. Really great to see a few minnows do some eating.

• 1 month later...

Local Second Round Results:

Louisville City FC (USL) 5

Long Island Rough Riders (PDL) 0

FC Cincinnati (USL) 4

Detroit City FC (NPSL) 1

After Extra Time

Mississippi Brilla (PDL) 1

Indy XI (USL) 0

Not a ton of upsets but Indy XI going down is surprising. Charlotte Independence also lost to a PDL team.

Third round matches May 23:

Pittsburgh Riverhounds vs. FC Cincinnati

Highmark Stadium, Pittsburgh

Louisville City FC vs. St. Louis FC

Lynn Stadium, Louisville

I’m thrilled that our old friends in St. Louis are coming to town. Don’t have a league season game against them since they got shuffled out West this season.

MLS teams join the tournament in the fourth round, beginning June 6.

Bulk of the third round games will be played tonight.

Ill be headed out to Lynn Stadium at UofL for the Louisville/Saint Louis match at 7:00.

An interesting note: two third round games feature both teams from outside the USL, which means that at least two teams that operate either as amateur or semipro teams will move into the fourth round, presumably to play MLS opponents.

Jacksonville Armada U-23 (NPSL) vs

Miami United FC (NPSL)

North Texas Rayados (USASA) vs

FC Wichita (NPSL)

• 2 weeks later...

Fourth Round gets going tonight as Louisville City hosts New England Revolution (MLS). Lynn Stadium is -- unsurprisingly, given its size -- sold out. Got my tickets last week. A couple things in Louisville's favor: they've been recovering from some injuries and have had 9 days off since the league game against Cincinnati on May 26, this will be New England's fourth game in 13 days so they'll be rotating their squad and trying to figure out who to play as they have yet another league game coming this weekend. I'll be curious to see how many of their normal first eleven they'll actually put out there.

FC Cincinnati hosts Minnesota United (MLS) tomorrow (June 6). Have to think that Cincinnati's vast and expensive roster will help. This tournament is why they carry so many players. 28, I believe.

Three other USL teams are hosting game tomorrow and those kinds of games are usually the best shot for a USL team to get a win over an MLS roster:

Sacramento Republic vs. Seattle Sounders

San Antoino FC vs. FC Dallas

Nashville SC vs. Colorado Rapids

Louisville City FC 3

New England Revolution 2

My voice is just about shot. Crazy up and down game. Referee let them play too. Maybe the most purely fun game Ive ever seen Louisville play from a neutral perspective.

New England rolled out a clear second choice side to start the game and Louisville took advantage. If Louisville hadn’t gifted them a couple goals by a keeper mistake and a missed clearance, Louisville would have dominated. As it was, it was 2-2 at the half, despite Louisville having the best of things and more of the possession.

Louisville tacked on the winner in the 62nd minute; an absolute rocket from outside the penalty area to the far corner of the net. New England tried wrest back control in the second half by putting in some guys with US national team experience — Kellyn Rowe and Juan Agudelo — and pressed like heck for the final 20 minutes but couldn’t find the equalizer.

Louisville moves on to the fifth round for the first time ever.