Rock (Retaining) Wall Repair

Jack of all Trades

Stone masonry contractors in general are getting fewer and further between - especially those who will do any kind of field-stone masonry work, mostly because of the liability factor that comes along with field-stone walls. If you're getting any taller than 2 or 3 feet in height, more often than not a retaining wall should actually be designed by a professional engineer. In new construction situations, most city/county inspectors will actually require an engineer stamped design for the wall. When it comes to field-stone, it's tough to engineer a design because if the irregular shapes and sizes you're dealing with, which is the basic reason they have gone away from building field-stone retaining walls in modern days.

That said, there are some types of natural stone that are actually quarried and shaped in order to suit a pre-engineered design, of sorts. Long story short, they design stone shapes and sizes that are to be installed following a particular set of guidelines, and when installed according to those guidelines, the wall will by default meet the design requirements for a proper retaining wall. Most modular block systems (e.g. - Allan Block and Anchor Wall) are designed in that fashion as well. Modular systems obviously cost less than true stone, because they are able to be manufactured to meet standards from the get-go, rather than having to be quarried, cut, and shaped into size parameters.

A few specialty building supply businesses in Greater Cincinnati that you might try talking to ahead of time for contractor referrals or general information are:

Stone Center of Kentucky

10720 Dixie Highway

Walton, KY 41094

859-282-8877

Cincinnati Stone Center

4820 Stafford Street

Cincinnati, OH 45227

513-271-5646

Ohio Valley Stone Products

4507 Anchorage Road

Cincinnati, OH 45226

513-374-0281

Tate Builders Supply

3511 Dixie Highway

Erlanger, KY 41018

859-727-1212

Western Hills Builders Supply

6801 Harrison Avenue

Cincinnati, OH 45247

513-574-6200

Modular Block Wall Installer:

Outdoor Environments

1045 Meta Drive

Cincinnati, OH 45237

513-641-5100

Stone Wall Installer:

Designs By Russo

4695 Industry Drive

Fairfield, OH 45014

513-275-2620

Olde World Masons, Inc.

4 Gilmore Court

Fairfield, OH 45014

513-403-3344

Does anyone know of anyone I could reach out to about having a rock wall repaired? Property has shifted some over the years and the wall has fallen in some places, but all of the rocks have been maintained and are certainly usable.

I'm dropping the deposit check off to our guy today to fix the wall at 1011 S. Ft. Thomas up by Midway. I'll let you know what I think about them once finished. Their price was pretty good.

I'm dropping the deposit check off to our guy today to fix the wall at 1011 S. Ft. Thomas up by Midway. I'll let you know what I think about them once finished. Their price was pretty good.

Pics please? I have a rock wall that has cracked at the mortar joints. Been trying to decide what to do.