Rules Question

This occurred in a basketball game yesterday and I was curious as to if it was called correctly or not.

Player on team A makes a steal and heads across the midcourt line towards his basket. He continues in and makes an uncontested layup.

Coach for team B enters the court after the steal, but before the make cursing at the official.

The official blows his whistle and issues a technical foul on the coach. The official negates the basket, but awards two free throws and the ball.

Was this ruled correctly and is it possible to stop a fast break with a bench technical.

This happened in the 1983 NCAA Final Four semi-final game between Louisville and Houston. Scooter McCray came up with a steal and was going in for a layup when Houston coach Guy Lewis threw a towel at McCray in disgust. The official immediately called a technical, thereby depriving Louisville of the basket.

As ColonelPops indicates, many officials would wait until after the basket is made to call the technical. But there is no rule that says they must.

I was using the logic that it should be treated the same as an injured player and wait for a change of possession or a stop in the action. It seems like although called correctly that it should have penalized the offending team more. Made free throws are not guaranteed, but a made basket is.

I was using the logic that it should be treated the same as an injured player and wait for a change of possession or a stop in the action. It seems like although called correctly that it should have penalized the offending team more. Made free throws are not guaranteed, but a made basket is.

As I recall, Louisville missed the free throw (it was just one free throw at that time) and then turned the ball over, so the technical worked to Houston's advantage. I may have some of that wrong (it was 35 years ago), but that is how I remember it.

This happened in the 1983 NCAA Final Four semi-final game between Louisville and Houston. Scooter McCray came up with a steal and was going in for a layup when Houston coach Guy Lewis threw a towel at McCray in disgust. The official immediately called a technical, thereby depriving Louisville of the basket.

As ColonelPops indicates, many officials would wait until after the basket is made to call the technical. But there is no rule that says they must.

3:52 mark of the video