Public School Closures - Teacher Protest

afi100guy

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Schools will have to have a maintain a significant force of substitute teachers now that teachers have no incentive to accumulate sick and personal days. This will cost local districts billions.

The "can" got kicked to the district in many different ways.

I feel really bad for all of our teachers across the commonwealth. It doesn’t matter what side of the fence you are on in this pension issue. The way this has been handled is embarrassing, insulting, maddening, saddening, frustrating and pretty much any adjective you can use to describe a feeling of anger, despair and sorrow. I can’t imagine how our teachers feel and I have no clue how last night’s actions will affect education in our state going forward. It’s a sad day for our state.

I feel really bad for all of our teachers across the commonwealth. It doesn’t matter what side of the fence you are on in this pension issue. The way this has been handled is embarrassing, insulting, maddening, saddening, frustrating and pretty much any adjective you can use to describe a feeling of anger, despair and sorrow. I can’t imagine how our teachers feel and I have no clue how last night’s actions will affect education in our state going forward. It’s a sad day for our state.

I can agree with this being handled in the completely wrong manner.

It’s disgraceful. And my daughter is graduating with her teaching degree in a few weeks. I’m friends with and know many teachers from my decade of coaching in the schools, and they are all extremely upset.

Edited by rjs4470

All because of our state government’s mismanagement of money ... what group are they going to get next when they mismanage the teachers’ money??? But this also effects state employees as well ... what if they walkout ?? Can’t trust the government , whether it’s state or federal ...

Thanks.

Outside of the 35 years of service increase, I don't see anything in there that is going to negatively impact teachers or their retirement.

I believe, and again, not an expert on this, that the capping of sick days towards retirement is a major issue and can ultimately cost teachers thousands per year in retirement and salary.

However, I think their biggest point, and rightfully so I'll add, is the optics of attaching a 291 page bill that no one had read, and had had no actuarial review, to the back-end of a sewage bill at the 11th hour. That looks like the opposite of being "represented" by your Representatives.

I believe, and again, not an expert on this, that the capping of sick days towards retirement is a major issue and can ultimately cost teachers thousands per year in retirement and salary.

However, I think their biggest point, and rightfully so I'll add, is the optics of attaching a 291 page bill that no one had read, and had had no actuarial review, to the back-end of a sewage bill at the 11th hour. That looks like the opposite of being "represented" by your Representatives.

I agree the way this was done is shady.

As far as the sick days, is that a common thing with retirement plans? I've never seen that before.