Open Job: Ashland

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just heard about this myself. Interesting turn of events. Where will Ashland turn for a replacement? Conway and Strader are both assistant coaches, will one of them get the nod or will they go with an outsider? Should be interesting to see what unfolds.

Agreed. I would hope they have a good reason.

Howell's a home town guy and former Tomcat player who appeared to be building that program back up to perennial region contender status. He was set to return a strong team next season. The seemingly abrupt nature of this termination raises some obvious questions that you hope will be answered.

Between this and the baseball stuff, there seems to be something going on in Tomcat country.

Word is they want Strader.

I've heard the rumors about Howells mistreatment of players but I won't get into them because the things I've heard ppl complain about aren't as severe as things I've actually seen out of Ashland JFL coaches.

Personally I think there are a lot of politics involved in this firing and Ashland had better hit the ball out of the park with the next hire or the program is going to take several steps backward.

Word is they want Strader.

Not sure why they fired Howell, but I think this is a quality job that could attract experienced and successful coaches. Hiring from within again would not be the right move. Strader was 6-23 during his one year at a head coaching job at Russell. Surely they will get a top flight external candidate as they return a team capable of winning the region next year.

Not sure why they fired Howell, but I think this is a quality job that could attract experienced and successful coaches. Hiring from within again would not be the right move. Strader was 6-23 during his one year at a head coaching job at Russell. Surely they will get a top flight external candidate as they return a team capable of winning the region next year.

Had Strader stayed at Russell he would have got the program back on track. He's a solid coach, that said, so is Howell. Russell hired Strader just prior to Biggs being fired. In a short period of time Ashland hired Howell and at the end of Straders first season he left Russell on good terms to "spend more time with his family." Then he ends up on Ashlands staff as an assistant.

I would be shocked if Strader isn't named Ashlands next coach asap. Nothing against Strader at all, he's a great coach, but I feel like Howell is getting the short end of the stick on this one.

I'm not sure who is running the ship at Ashland but they should remove themselves and let others take control.

Mark Swift is the A.D. He's been there a long time and I doubt his job is in jeopardy, not to mention he makes really good money so I couldn't see him stepping down on his own. There are some weird things going on the past few years though.

Mark Swift is the A.D. He's been there a long time and I doubt his job is in jeopardy, not to mention he makes really good money so I couldn't see him stepping down on his own. There are some weird things going on the past few years though.

Maybe Buddy wasn't all in the wrong after all.