Officiating Accountability

atm10

Highly rated NCAA official John Higgins won’t ref Final Four after blowing a 1st-round call - SBNation.com

I know there will be a lot of shots taken but the reason I post is simply to show what most don’t know. There is accountability. Had already been assigned to work final 4. Also remember he wasn’t even working the game, but was the table alternate, henceforth, seen as part of the crew.

Regardless of what the common fan thinks about how “good” an official is it’s up to the JD Collins. So those working this year deserve to be there as he did last year and would have been back this year. There is accountability in missing rules and adjudication of fouls.

Also heard Doug Shows is out of the Final Four. Also, hope the official that blew the in bounds call in the Loyola game is out. Passed the ball in and grabbed it and passed it in again. He was looking right at it.

I saw that and then thought, "did he just....nah.... couldn't have" 'cause the official was right there. I walked out to the kitchen to get a drink thinking the old eyes and brain were playing tricks and what I thought I saw didn't really happen. So glad somebody else noticed it and I'm not that senile yet.

From reading the article I'd say it was more than just the one call where he wasn't even on the floor as an official. I'd say it was a combination of calls. He also missed other rounds.

There has to be more than just that. Unless he knew it and didn't correct it, then I get it. If he just missed it along with everyone else. That is forgivable.
d

Alternate is “ on the floor” as an official. He did not “know it” ...why people think these officials care who wins or loses is beyond me....

Realize the thread is about officiating accountability, but where in the world was the College of Charleston's staff to allow this to happen? Not enough eyes on that bench to call the obvious error to the official's attention. Shame, shame, shame.

Also heard Doug Shows is out of the Final Four. Also, hope the official that blew the in bounds call in the Loyola game is out. Passed the ball in and grabbed it and passed it in again. He was looking right at it.

You could bet if UK was in the final 4 Doug would've made sure to be there to make it 6 v 5 on the court.

Every game in every sport is "influenced" by officiating. They are as much a part of the game as the players/coaches.

I'm not downing all officials, but there are just too many bad calls in big games in my opinion. For example, I'm certainly no Duke fan but that block call that fouled Wendell Carter out is one of the worst calls of the season.

Even worse, is when they go to a 5-minute review and folks at home see 8 different angles of the play and it's extremely obvious which way the call should go...then the refs meet and rule it the other way after a 5-minute review.

I don't know what the solution is but something has to change.

You could bet if UK was in the final 4 Doug would've made sure to be there to make it 6 v 5 on the court.

I actually like Shows as an official, which was not always the case. At one time I was pretty sure that he did not like Coach Cal in the least, but that seems to have subsided over the last couple of years.

He is one of the very few officials that is not overly influenced by the home crowd and also doesn't seem to fall into the trap of trying to even up the number of fouls called, regardless of how much each team fouls.

I'm not downing all officials, but there are just too many bad calls in big games in my opinion. For example, I'm certainly no Duke fan but that block call that fouled Wendell Carter out is one of the worst calls of the season.

Even worse, is when they go to a 5-minute review and folks at home see 8 different angles of the play and it's extremely obvious which way the call should go...then the refs meet and rule it the other way after a 5-minute review.

I don't know what the solution is but something has to change.

I wish they would modify the review process somehow, I agree that it takes to long. I will say on some calls it only becomes obvious after 4 different angles of extreme slow motion review. Officials are part of the game, live and die with what’s called on the floor.

Maybe take the tennis example where players are allowed a certain amount of challenges during the game. Let coaches have 4 challenges per game they can ask for? :idunno: