Open Job: Greenup County

Is Merle Kidwell interested in the job? I believe he was on staff in the past. With the graduation of Hughes, it will not be as good of job as in the past. Plus the battles with baseball is a never ending issue. If Kidwell is not the guy for the job, I see them going with a young coach.

I hope they look for a young coach that wants to invest in the program and want to coach the whole team and not just one kid. It may take a couple of years but a lot talent coming up. But who knows what Greenup will do. Not a lot chatter amongst the old faithfuls.

I agree that a young coach would be the correct choice for GC. But young coaches have not done well at GC. Jeff Nickles was an outstanding coach but the powers-to-be did not want him to run the youth program. Now he is having great success as the Head Coach at SSU women’s program. Jim Hicks was also a good young coach but ruffled the feathers of the baseball personnel because he wanted kids to focus on basketball during basketball season. Greenup is not the same job it was 20 years ago.

Completely agree, it will have to be a young coach with a backbone. I think the new AD can help a young coach navigate the waters with the baseball program. They don’t have as much power as in the past. Besides after this group graduates (from this past season) you don’t have a whole lot of baseball players who play basketball.

• 3 weeks later...

Any word on the candidates for this position?

I’m not sure there is a quick fix for GC. There is a lot of work to be done if they are going to get back to a player in the 16th Region. Over the past 4 or 5 years there hasn’t been a lot of attention given to the feeder programs.

Is Coach Kidwell interested in the job?

Any word on the candidates for this position?

I’m not sure there is a quick fix for GC. There is a lot of work to be done if they are going to get back to a player in the 16th Region. Over the past 4 or 5 years there hasn’t been a lot of attention given to the feeder programs.

Is Coach Kidwell interested in the job?

Ashland must be pursuing Kidwell.