Signs that the "Sweet 16" is Thriving or Declining

It is becoming increasingly obvious to me that there are subtle (or not so subtle) signs that the Sweet 16 is in decline.

1) Ample parking, despite when you arrive. Diminished traffic issues.

2) Very little ticket scalper evidence

3) Short walk-up lines at most concession stands, even some closed concession stands

(Of course, this could be a sign that they are pricing themselves out of business)

Walk-in and walk-up at most restrooms, even between games at at halftime.

4) Quick walk up to the fast-food venues and plenty of available seating pre-game in the Food Court. Also more competitive prices than I remember in the past.

Same for dining at the popular haunts post-game.

5) NO overflow student and fan sections.

I see no indications whatever that the "Sweet 16" is thriving. Obviously, neither does the KHSAA who is tinkering with the dates, etc., to attempt to generate more interest/revenue.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember going to the state tournaments every year, even when the teams I follow closely were not in it. For last several years though, nope. Just doesn't feel the same. Maybe that's on me though and am showing my age, though that doesn't seem to be a barrier for @Mustang

Once upon a time they weren't having to compete with as many things to do. That's for high school athletics in general. People have generally just seemed to decide there are better ways (or easier/cheaper) to spend their time and money. It would be advisable for them to do something about the cost.

Once upon a time they weren't having to compete with as many things to do. That's for high school athletics in general. People have generally just seemed to decide there are better ways (or easier/cheaper) to spend their time and money. It would be advisable for them to do something about the cost.

$5 for a water. A friend of mine said t-shirts were $40 range (sounds off to me, but he asked the person working). If you want your casual fan to come, need to offer some kind of package deal for tickets, or offer some type of entertainment in the Lex Center in between sessions.

Playing on Sunday is killing attendance for the championship. They need to go to Saturday night. Period. Move it back one day during the week. And having the girls play in Rupp Arena is just a horrible idea. But the boys need to play the championship on Saturday night. That would help.

Back to the programs or the lack of them. Yet they can afford to print a 100 year book to sell to people. You think they had any of them leftover?

Agree! Offer a program.

I printed one off this year and threw away 1/2 of it. Burned up a lot of wasted ink. I really hate it. Wait until all of we old-schoolers die off and then go virtual.

You would think they would contract it out. I'm sure some company would be able to do a great job putting out a manageable product at a reasonable cost.

I did buy one of the "First 100 Years" programs, simply for reference and some of the stories included. They did not promote them well, and you are right - I'll bet they have a ton of them left.

This is just one part of it that the KHSAA can’t control, but if UK is playing that session is going to suffer. That will never change and shouldn’t be something the KHSAA tries to combat IMO.

They are going to move the State Tournament up a week to avoid the conflict with the NCAA Tournament.

This will only further squeeze regular season scheduling. Will really impact All "A" tournament scheduling, if you play in the "A" State. You will have to find room for two weeks of tournament play within your more limited regular season schedule.

Another topic for another thread.

They are going to move the State Tournament up a week to avoid the conflict with the NCAA Tournament.

This will only further squeeze regular season scheduling. Will really impact All "A" tournament scheduling, if you play in the "A" State. You will have to find room for two weeks of tournament play within your more limited regular season schedule.

Another topic for another thread.

And in 2019 you have the addition of the AA Tournament, more scheduling conflicts and more expenses for fans and their parents.