Reds and 3B Eugenio Suárez have agreed to terms on a 7-year contract extension

Source - Reds Agree To Extension With Suarez | Locked On MLB

Suarez, 26, has agreed to a 7-year deal guaranteeing him $66 million with an option that can bring the deal to $79 million over eight years, sources told Locked On MLB. The deal includes this season and covers his three arbitration years and four years of free agency. The 8th year option is worth $15 million with a $2-million buyout.

Great move by ownership. Mr. Castellini wants to win more than anyone despite a certain individual's constant crying.

Lets see here.....

1. Deal makes sense, specifically with 2 years arbitration left, if he has another good year, the arbitration price goes up significantly and so does a long term deal. So the move makes sense here.

2. However, does it make sense, isnt his replacement going to be at AAA to start the season, and more than likely on the active roster by the end of the season? So 66 million for a guy who is going to be replaced?

or

Does this mean Senzel is going to move to SS?

It is not a crazy deal (at end of contract he is 33.) Money seems a little high, but if he continues to improve, its not high so taking a small chance, but not an insane one.

Just wonder, specifically with Senzel in the pipeline, does this deal keep them from locking up some pitching down the road.

Good deal from the Reds perspective. If he continues to produce at his current level it's a bargain. Hopefully Senzel takes well to shortstop. If not, I'm sure they can find a spot for him if he hits as well as anticipated.

They also have multiple SS prospects but I guess the best one will go to 2B in 3 years.

They also have multiple SS prospects but I guess the best one will go to 2B in 3 years.

They don’t really have any close the the majors so he could end up there for a while. Also Scooter is probably not the long term solution at 2B so he likely ends up there IMO.

Question - would you rather give 7 years to a 26 year old rising player like Suarez or give 6 years to a 31 year old #1 starter like Darvish? I am asking purely from a length of contract risk perspective. Which deal is riskier?

Any multi-year deal with a pitcher on the wrong side of 30 is much riskier. When it is one to a guy that has thrown over 2000 innings between Japan and MLB and has had his ERA go up for 3 straight years while fighting injuries there's no comparison in risk.

Ok,I'll be the one to urinate on this deal. I like Suarez. if I'm him,I'm jumping at the deal. BUT.......lol, here it comes guy's. I'm not crazy about the deal strictly on the years. I guess the reds haven't learned anything from the Homer Bailey deal.And yes,i realize Bailey is a pitcher,but .....to me,locking guy's up for anything more than three to four years is nuts!!!! Too many things can happen. He could tank,get injured,as other people have stated here,you have options coming up also. As i said,i like Suarez,but i get tired of teams dishing out long term deals,for short term success. the Jerry Narron deal comes to mine. i think they may still be paying Griffey jr.. if it's just three or four years,i can see it. i hope it works out. I'm hoping management has a plan,and knows what their doing,but i don't have a lot of faith at this point. I will give the reds the benefit of the doubt though. What the hell,it's not my money!!!...lol!!! Can't wait for opening day. "PLAY BALL BOYS" !!!!