Memphis Fires Tubby Smith

16thBBall Fan

Memphis fires Tubby after just two seasons. Reports say that Penny Hardaway is the front runner. I wonder if he's the front runner because he coaches 3 of the top 26 players in next years senior class that play on his AAU team.

Edited by bugatti

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tubby got 2 seasons going 40-26 after Pastner left a mess. This is Exhibit A against Tubby's loyalty theory on players. There should be no expectation because there is no loyalty from admins or coaches.

If I were Tubby I would have hit the door as soon as that Penny talk started. Maybe Louisville will hire him. :lol2:

In all honesty Ole Miss probably would be a good job for him if they gave him 4 years.

Tubby got 2 seasons going 40-26 after Pastner left a mess. This is Exhibit A against Tubby's loyalty theory on players. There should be no expectation because there is no loyalty from admins or coaches.

If I were Tubby I would have hit the door as soon as that Penny talk started. Maybe Louisville will hire him. :lol2:

In all honesty Ole Miss probably would be a good job for him if they gave him 4 years.

I love Tubby Smith but how many more years does he have left coaching? I'd say Hardaway to Memphis is likely, which is going to likely cost Cal some recruits, possibly the #1 overall in 2019.

I love Tubby Smith but how many more years does he have left coaching? I'd say Hardaway to Memphis is likely, which is going to likely cost Cal some recruits, possibly the #1 overall in 2019.

I would say 5-7. He is 66. Coach K is 71 and Tubby has coached way fewer games :lol2:.

It may coast 1 or 2, but Penny will have to show some success before he consistently steals recruits.

I have a feeling this will really blow up in Memphis face...a big difference in the level of coaching on the College level vs the AAU level. I predict a dumpster fire in 3 years.

I also think UK needs to pay close attention. When Cal does leave and the next coach isn't getting it done recruiting like Cal did...I hope we don't panic and go with a "Name" who is associated with Big time talent.

Yes, please tell us about that good job Tubby did and what he deserved.

He cleaned up a mess that was left to him. He exceeded expectations as far as finishing well above where they were predicted in the conference. They finished the year strong.

What kind of mess did Pastner leave? Details please.

Yes, please tell us about that good job Tubby did and what he deserved.

I don't know if there was a mess or not. However if Memphis was going to hire Tubby. Then they know he is not a top recruiter. He is a guy who needs time to get players in his system and coach them up. So if you were going to hire him, then you should give him at least 4 years.

He cleaned up a mess that was left to him. He exceeded expectations as far as finishing well above where they were predicted in the conference. They finished the year strong.

They finished strong despite their leading scorer being out due to injury. Memphis was picked to finish ninth in the AAC preseason.