Possible Changes to 2018 Deer Season

woodsrider

A buddy I hunt with talked to the Fish and Wildlife Commissioner for our region yesterday. Said the state is looking at a few possible changes for the coming season.

• Increasing doe limit to 15 deer with purchase of doe tags ($15). Not sure if this would include zone 2, 3, & 4 counties or not. It would definitely include zone 2 since that is what Henderson is. Zone 1 counties have no limit now.
  • Adding a doe modern gun season (weekend) in late Sept
  • Extending Crossbow season to entire archery season.

Heard the same about over population. They are looking to cull the herd and it starts with the gals.

He also said they are wanting to boost the Hunters for the Hungry program and the extra doe days/bag limit is one way. Our problem where I hunt finding somewhere that takes deer for the program. When Jim David Meats quit processing deer we lost the only close place to donate.

I know Nicholas County’s deer herd has blown up the past 5 years ... I was looking for them to change us to a zone 1 last year but they didn’t ... good time to be a deer hunter ... I really like the idea of crossbow running concurrent with archery season , that gives the youth that just quite can’t shoot a bow yet more days early when the weather is a bit more comfortable for them and also the same with some of our older brethren more days when weather is better .... let’s face it when we get older and blood is a bit thinner it can be tough to sit out there when it’s 15 degrees with a stiff wind blowing in your face like we used to ... Good luck to everyone this fall ... 168 days til bow season opens

• 3 weeks later...

It seems like this is going to be a sure thing.

I’m still torn. I’d almost rather the modern gun season get extended for doe or something like that. Or possibly adding a late firearm season in December or January.

I’m mostly just being selfish. The farm I hunt will get additional hunters on it with the September modern gun season. As it sits, I’m the only person that bow hunts it.

I mean I get your concern but again, 2 days of a few extra hunters in the woods during Sept will have little to no affect on your hunting for the season. Unless your talking about a really high ratio of hunters to acreage or if they are doing deer drives it's just not enough time in the woods to have much of an effect.