Cleveland Browns Offseason

Browns signed former Buckeye, Carlos Hyde (former 49er) and TE David Fells from the Lions.

@halfback20, Joe Thomas has not made a final decision. He tore his triceps at the end of the season but that isn't the injury that would keep him from playing if he wanted to. It's the accumulation of injuries over the years, like knee and the main issue, his back. That's why his practice is limited every week. He said he would let the Browns know regarding retirement before Free Agency started so they would know what they needed to do. Perhaps he told them and they said keep it quiet until they sign the guys they are after. It certainly appears they are planning as if he is retiring. If they get Solder from New England they will be in good shape no matter what Joe Thomas decides.

Browns signed former Buckeye, Carlos Hyde (former 49er) and TE David Fells from the Lions.

@halfback20, Joe Thomas has not made a final decision. He tore his triceps at the end of the season but that isn't the injury that would keep him from playing if he wanted to. It's the accumulation of injuries over the years, like knee and the main issue, his back. That's why his practice is limited every week. He said he would let the Browns know regarding retirement before Free Agency started so they would know what they needed to do. Perhaps he told them and they said keep it quiet until they sign the guys they are after. It certainly appears they are planning as if he is retiring. If they get Solder from New England they will be in good shape no matter what Joe Thomas decides.

They aren't getting Solder. Giants just signed him.

Free Agency and the trades leading up to Free Agency have strengthened the Browns roster. I think they have added mostly middle-class talent to provide depth to their roster. I think these moves tell us which way they are leaning in the draft.

The acquisition of Hyde makes me think they aren't going to pick Saquon Barkley with either their #1 or #4. Hyde is an upgrade in talent over their former RB Isaiah Crowell. Hyde isn't Barkley, but he is a good RB. They still have Duke Johnson who gives them a good target out of the backfield. I still think they take a back in this draft but in the 2nd or 4th round (they traded their 3rd round pick to the Bills to get Tyrone Taylor). Hyde and another good rookie back give them the makings of a productive backfield.

They continue to try to land Pryor. If they get him, Coleman will be expendable. They would have Josh Gordon on one side, Pryor on the other (that's 2,000 yards of production) and Jarvis Landry to catch 100 passes. Obviously, they won't all get those big numbers but that is the caliber of WR core they are amassing. And Ndjoku at TE and the backfield I already mentioned and I think Hadley and Hue will have fun throwing together some awesome offensive packages to take advantage of all that talent. When was the last time you could talk about a lot of talent on the Cleveland Browns offense? If they don't get Pryor, they will look for a WR in the draft. They have 3 2nd round picks.

They need to add some more talent and they will do so mostly through the draft at this point.

Their #1 pick will be a QB and I think it will be Darnold.

Their #4 pick, if they stay at #4, will be Minkah Fitzpatrick, if available. They desperately need a CB. They picked up Damarius Randall from the Packers and penciled him in at Free Safety. This will allow them to play Jabrill Peppers closer to the line which is more in his wheelhouse. And Cleveland signed TJ Carrie, CB, from the Raiders.

I have seen some speculate that they pick Bradley Chubb DE from NC State at #4 if he is available. Can you image Myles Garrett, Bradley Chubb, and Emmanuel Ogbah in a defensive package designed by DC Gregg Williams? What a nightmare for matchups that would create.

2nd Round The Browns have 3 picks. They need a RB (see above), they definitely need a LT and they may get him in the 2nd round, and they need a WR.

Dorsey has done a good job of adding depth to the roster which enables them to go a variety of ways in the draft. But I am pretty sure they go with a QB at #1. I don't see them bringing Hyde in, paying him 15 mil over 3 years and 6 mil the first year, and then drafting Barkley.