Ping Pong Rules Question

MJAlltheWay24

Let me paint a scenario:

Player A is serving and wins the point to put him at 20-19. Player B get the serve and scores making it 20-20. Who gets the next serve?

Player A because its a multiple of 5 and it switches every 5?

or

Player B because Player A previously served 4 times before and his cycle ended?

If it switches every 5, why did it switch with the score 20-19 from A to B. Player A should have had another serve.

On game point, the serve always switches. At least that's the way I've always played against anyone ever. That might be one of those official house rules, but not really official. Not sure.

On game point, the serve always switches. At least that's the way I've always played against anyone ever. That might be one of those official house rules, but not really official. Not sure.

Yeah switching serve on game point is the way I’ve always played as well. To answer your question I’ve always played where it would alternate serve every point after it reaches 20-20 so the player who lost the previous point would get the next serve. So player A gets the next serve in your scenario.

@theguru

He is the man at ping pong, and for me, his word on this will be the definitive answer.

I am so long in the tooth with Table Tennis (Ping Pong if you don't know what you are talking about or like to be passive aggressive).

The rules have changed some over the last 20 years and I haven't kept up but...

One thing is for sure, if you are playing to 21 (old school everyone played to 21 before the rules changed and now you are supposed to play to 11) the serve should NOT have switched at 20-19. That is absolutely 100% wrong.

20 to 20 would be "Deuce" or 10 to 10 under the new rules. Then the serve would alternate until one player reaches a two point advantage.

I am so long in the tooth with Table Tennis (Ping Pong if you don't know what you are talking about or like to be passive aggressive).

The rules have changed some over the last 20 years and I haven't kept up but...

One thing is for sure, if you are playing to 21 (old school everyone played to 21 before the rules changed and now you are supposed to play to 11) the serve should NOT have switched at 20-19. That is absolutely 100% wrong.

20 to 20 would be "Deuce" or 10 to 10 under the new rules. Then the serve would alternate until one player reaches a two point advantage.

Switching our games to 11 instead of 21 reinvigorated my love for this game. Much more fun. Simplifies the rules too. Switching on game point is dumb. Never understood that rule anyway.