Kevin Stallings out at Pitt

Pittsburgh has severed ties with basketball coach Kevin Stallings after two seasons, the school announced Thursday.

"I want to express my appreciation to Coach Stallings for his commitment to our program," athletic director Heather Lyke said in a statement. "In moving forward, we have tremendous expectations for our men's basketball program at Pitt and I believe we can achieve great things within the Atlantic Coast Conference and nationally. A national search for the next Pitt head coach will begin immediately."

Pittsburgh Panthers fire coach Kevin Stallings

I know we hear how young UK is, but wasn't Pitt starting five Freshmen, or am I mistaken?

As far as starters go, I can't say, but they had 8 guys play 30+ games and average over 17 mpg. 5 of those 8 were Freshmen. They had a senior who only played in 10 games that was averaging over 30 mpg as well.

I think what got him fired was he was 0-19 in conference play....

Last few reports I saw, this morning, was that Pitt was trying to fire him "for cause" to get out of paying him his 9.4 million dollar buyout. Going 0-19 in conference doesn't apply in that way.

Lawyers geared up on both sides. This will get messy.