Seventh Region Final - Ballard v. Trinity

Here we go. What everybody expected, and what most basketball fans wanted. Ballard v. Trinity, Monday night, 7:00 p.m., Valley High School.

Not much more to say beyond what has been said already over the course of the season. Both teams are playing well and will be ready to play Monday night.

Trinity has the three best players in the region, and that usually is enough to get it done. But Ballard will play its trademark defense, and it seems to be shooting the ball well these days. Coach Renner also has brought along some younger players who are making significant contributions.

I anticipate a great game Monday night. Should be another Ballard-Trinity classic.

Hope to see you there.

Smallhoops, I believe you said in the 7th Region prediction article that that B and T have played in the regional final for the previous six years with B winning in the odd-numbered years and T in the even-numbered years. I hope this pattern holds true.

Ballard has kind of been lying in the weeds this year as Trinity has gotten most of the attention. Coach Renner is a great coach. Should be a great game.

I was fortunate enough to be covering the Seventh Region for this site during what I now know to be the greatest period for this rivalry. Watched Quentin Snider and Kelan Martin. Covered Ray Spalding.

This is as good as it gets in Louisville high school basketball.

Smallhoops, I believe you said in the 7th Region prediction article that that B and T have played in the regional final for the previous six years with B winning in the odd-numbered years and T in the even-numbered years. I hope this pattern holds true.

Ballard has kind of been lying in the weeds this year as Trinity has gotten most of the attention. Coach Renner is a great coach. Should be a great game.

Yep. Following that pattern, Trinity should win this one. And they certainly have the talent. But a year ago Ballard was in a similar position and won easily.

As @Getslow said, it doesn't get any better than this in Louisville high school basketball.

Trinity and Ballard played in the Seventh Region semi-final last year. Trinity was 29-3 and had beaten St. X 67-38 in its previous game. Ballard was 26-6 and had beaten Central 87-53 in its previous game.

Going into Monday night's game, Trinity is 29-3 and beat St. X 62-41 in its previous game. Ballard is 27-6 and beat Central 92-54 in its previous game.

Ballard won that game last year 57-41. It did so even though it hit only 1 of the 12 3-point shots it took. The key? Trinity shot 36% from the field. Jay Scrubb, David Johnson and Justin Powell combined for only 12 points in that game.

I expect Ballard to play tenacious defense again, but suspect the Trinity triumvirate to be more productive offensively. And perhaps the key will be Stan Turnier, who has had some really nice games for Trinity this year.

We must wait until Monday to see how it will play out.

This is a mental game. Jay Scrubb and David Johnson from a talent standpoint will be the best players in the floor and Justin Powell isn’t far behind. Last year Ballard got in Trinity’s head early and stayed there. Can they do it again?

I honestly believe that the reason that Renner has chosen not to play Trinity during the regular season is because when he has had to face the Rocks twice in the second season Trinity has been able to make adjustments to better handle their pressure.

Unknown variable, officials from the 12th region. So far in the games I’ve seen they’ve been pretty good. This is going to be a packed house that’s loud. The game will be fast paced and could get out of control if the refs can’t manage it. If Ballard is allowed to get very physical (and if Trinity’s trinity is playing well they may have to) that could swing the game in Ballard’s favor.

I have been fortunate enough to be at the last 6 Trinity-Ballard match-ups in the Seventh Region tournament. They have all been interesting.

In 2012, Trinity won 58-55, led by Mr. Basketball Nathan Dieudonne's 21 points. The Rocks went on to win the state tournament that year.

In 2013, Ballard won 57-46. Future Mr. Basketball and Louisville Cardinal Quintin Snider led the Bruins with 21, while Kelan Martin, who has scored almost 2000 points in his college career at Butler, added 18. Ballard eventually lost in the state tournament championship game to Madison Central, 65-64 (after it looked like Ballard had the game won).

Snider and Martin returned for their senior years in the 2013-14 season, and Ballard had beaten Trinity in both the King of the Bluegrass and the Louisville Invitational Tournament that season. But Trinity prevailed in the Seventh Region tournament 59-58. Trinity was led by future Bellarmine Knight Daniel Ramser's 14 points. Future Louisville Cardinal Ray Spalding, then a junior, was held to 4 points.

Ballard bounced back in 2015 to beat Trinity 67-54. Ballard was led by future UAB Blazer Jalen Perry's 25 points. Anthony Eaves added 14.

The game in 2016 will be remembered for Ballard's Jake Ramsey's full court shot at the end of regulation that tied the game and sent it into overtime. It was one of the most electrifying moments I have ever experienced at a sporting event. But Trinity had the composure to win the game in overtime 67-62. Jacob King and Gabe Schmitt led the Rocks with 19 points apiece.

Last year saw Ballard return to the winner's circle, 57-41. It was a terrific performance by Ballard, who was led by Clivonte Patterson's 16 points.

So what will happen tonight? I have thought for most of this season that Ballard was the only team that had a shot at beating Trinity. And they certainly do have a shot - a good shot, actually. If they played ten times, I think Ballard would win 3-4 times.

Ballard will play killer defense; the key likely will be Ballard's shooting percentage. Ballard has shot under 40% from the field in each of its five losses this season. The good news for the Bruins is that they have shot over 50% from the field in each of their post-season games this season.

The other key, I believe, will be whether Trinity can stay out of foul trouble. With the emotion this game will bring, it is easy to conceive how some players may be a little overly aggressive.

But at the end of the day, I think Trinity and its outstanding talent will prevail. My prediction: Trinity 62 Ballard 56.

Tix on sale at Trinity until 3:30 p.m.------$8. There will be four going from my family.

I hope T can offset B's quickness and shoot decent. They had a very poor shooting night in their last game against an excellent opponent, Lexington Christian, but I don't think B will play zone as LCA did. Corner shots may not be so available. It would be great if Scrubb, Johnson and Powell (and Turnier) all stepped up big-time. We shall see...really looking forward to it.

I have been fortunate enough to be at the last 6 Trinity-Ballard match-ups in the Seventh Region tournament. They have all been interesting.

In 2012, Trinity won 58-55, led by Mr. Basketball Nathan Dieudonne's 21 points. The Rocks went on to win the state tournament that year.

In 2013, Ballard won 57-46. Future Mr. Basketball and Louisville Cardinal Quintin Snider led the Bruins with 21, while Kelan Martin, who has scored almost 2000 points in his college career at Butler, added 18. Ballard eventually lost in the state tournament championship game to Madison Central, 65-64 (after it looked like Ballard had the game won).

Snider and Martin returned for their senior years in the 2013-14 season, and Ballard had beaten Trinity in both the King of the Bluegrass and the Louisville Invitational Tournament that season. But Trinity prevailed in the Seventh Region tournament 59-58. Trinity was led by future Bellarmine Knight Daniel Ramser's 14 points. Future Louisville Cardinal Ray Spalding, then a junior, was held to 4 points.

Ballard bounced back in 2015 to beat Trinity 67-54. Ballard was led by future UAB Blazer Jalen Perry's 25 points. Anthony Eaves added 14.

The game in 2016 will be remembered for Ballard's Jake Ramsey's full court shot at the end of regulation that tied the game and sent it into overtime. It was one of the most electrifying moments I have ever experienced at a sporting event. But Trinity had the composure to win the game in overtime 67-62. Jacob King and Gabe Schmitt led the Rocks with 19 points apiece.

Last year saw Ballard return to the winner's circle, 57-41. It was a terrific performance by Ballard, who was led by Clivonte Patterson's 16 points.

So what will happen tonight? I have thought for most of this season that Ballard was the only team that had a shot at beating Trinity. And they certainly do have a shot - a good shot, actually. If they played ten times, I think Ballard would win 3-4 times.

Ballard will play killer defense; the key likely will be Ballard's shooting percentage. Ballard has shot under 40% from the field in each of its five losses this season. The good news for the Bruins is that they have shot over 50% from the field in each of their post-season games this season.

The other key, I believe, will be whether Trinity can stay out of foul trouble. With the emotion this game will bring, it is easy to conceive how some players may be a little overly aggressive.

But at the end of the day, I think Trinity and its outstanding talent will prevail. My prediction: Trinity 62 Ballard 56.

I agree this is the key. If one of the big three is limited, T will struggle! Trinity just does not have much help off the bench

Unknown variable, officials from the 12th region. So far in the games I’ve seen they’ve been pretty good. This is going to be a packed house that’s loud. The game will be fast paced and could get out of control if the refs can’t manage it. If Ballard is allowed to get very physical (and if Trinity’s trinity is playing well they may have to) that could swing the game in Ballard’s favor.

As a 12th Region guy, I'm glad our officials have done a good job. I thought both games on Friday were well officiated, although neither was a very good game that hinged on calls.

Based on what I've seen this year, Trinity has the better players but Ballard has the depth. I was impressed with Ballard's shooting against Central. If the Bruins can dictate tempo and make shots then they will win. Trinity has to control the pace, stay out of foul trouble, and make shots. This game may come down to whoever has the best player on the floor - who can take over the game.