BluegrassPreps.com 10th Region Tournament Preview

mcpapa

Finally - the regional tournament is upon us. Some of the district tourney games were closer than expected, but the tournament played out pretty much as expected, with all four favorites cutting the nets last week. In this old hoops fan's humble opinion, there are two favorites, and three more that can get hot and make it to Rupp if the proverbial ball bounces their way.

The two favorites:

1. Clark County (28-4, 14-1 region). The Cardinals breezed by Bourbon County in the 40th district semis behind Will Philpot's 21 (18 in the first half) and Jordan Graham's 20 (16 of them in the pivotal 24-4 third quarter). The district final against Paris was anything but a cakewalk, as Clark prevailed 59-56 in overtime. Shooting was an issue (3-11 from 3, 14-27 from the line), and the bigger Cards squad was outrebounded by the Hounds by 13. Still, the Cards were my (and most others') preseason pick to represent the 10th in Lexington, and I'm sticking with them. The starting roster is loaded with five scoring options; led by Philpot (12.8/9.6, and a whopping 65% FG%); Graham (11.3), Brennan Canada (12.9/7.1), Ryan Cooper (10.5, 70/168 3-pointers) and Chase Taylor (7.7). J.J. Johnson, Jared Wellman and Jehdon Jenkins are productive off the bench, and could start for many of the region's teams.

2. Campbell County (25-5, 12-0 region). Campbell was another team that had an easy time in their district semi (90-55 over Calvary Christian)n then surviving a 10-18 night from the line to edge Scott 58-57 in the final. Coach Russell's charges remain the only team to hand GRC an in-region loss, and are certainly capable of winning three straight in the regional tournament; and are looking for some payback for the way they were bounced out of the past two regional tourneys on last-second shots. Reid Jolly (18.0/9.7, 63.2 FG%) holds down the middle, and is ably supported by Tanner Clos (15.8/5.1, 51.9 FG%), Joel Day (14.7, 88.6% FT) and Drew Wilson (9.5).

These are the other three teams that have a legitimate shot:

3. Paris (22-7, 13-5 region). The Greyhounds had won 11 straight, including scoring the final 9 points of the game in their 60-51 defeat of Montgomery County in the district final; prior to the heartbreaking loss to Clark County in the final. Senior Eric Johnson is the Greyhounds' go-to man (19.1, 5.8, and has attempted 160 more shots than anyone else on the team). Travis Strings has proven to be a pleasant surprise for Coach Brooks at 11.4/4.7; and Marcus Ashford, Taleigh Adams, Jalen Byars and Jamaun Clark all average 6.8 points or better per game. However, shooting is this team's Achilles heel; with no one at 70% from the line and Strings the only Hound hitting over a third of his shots from behind the arc.

4. Scott (21-9, 6-4 region). It is often tough to get a bead on Scott, an they play much more of a "Northern Kentucky" schedule as witnessed by only ten games against regional opponents, with two of them in the 37th district tournament last week. They handled Bishop Brossart by 18 in the semis, then gave Campbell County all they could handle in the final. Trey Meister leads the Eagles in scoring and rebounds on the season (15.1/5.9); Jake's younger brother Chad Ohmer is close behind at 14.6; Nathan Joyce at 7.9 hits over 60% of his field goals; and Nelson Perrin (11.9), Jaycob Pouncey (7.7) and David Hunter (7.5) round out the balanced Eagle scoring attack. Depth could be an issue.

5. Pendleton County (24-7, 16-4 region). Pendleton had no problems cruising through the 38th district tournament, handling Robertson County by 20 and Harrison County (who unceremoniously bounced the Cats in last year's district semis) by 29. The Wildcats are paced in just about everything by regional player-of-the-year favorite Dontaie Allen, who poured in 46 against the Thorobreds in the district final. The smooth junior swingman, who at last count had a half-dozen D-1 offers, averages 32.1 (over 60% from the field), 11.5 RPG and hits at just a tick under 80% from the line. Grant Walsh (13.9/5.8), Jacob Yelton (8.3/3.7) and Cody Sullivan (40% from distance) provide offensive punch. Pendleton's chances to advance deep into the regional tournament may rest on the availability/effectiveness of Adam Antrobus, whose 8.9/6.7 will be needed.

The rest:

6. Mason County (17-13, 7-7 region). The Royals had little trouble with Augusta and Bracken County in last week's district tournament, but their hopes of advancing this week may have been dealt a severe blow when Jaylen Lofton (11.4/7.3) severely lacerated a hand at halftime of the final against Bracken while opening a window in the locker room at halftime. With center Dalton Perkins still in street clothes after suffering a concussion in the final regular-season game, Mason County was/is? down to one remaining starter from the season's opening game (Leevi Dunaway, 19.8, 5.4). It is entirely possible that the rest of the starting five will be Malcolm Devine (the Royals' 14th man in November, but scored a career-high 29 against Bracken in the district final), Xylon Frey, Jeremiah Jones and Carson Brammer (4.9, 6.1 and 4.7 PPG).

7. Harrison County (11-20, 6-9 region). The Breds advanced past Nicholas County before falling to Pendleton in the 38th district tourney, advancing to the region for the sixth consecutive year. Spencer Free and Quenton Turley provide most of the scoring punch at 17.0/13.3; with Braden Bryant not far behind at 9.7. Free missed the Nicholas County game with the flu.

8. Bracken County (5-24, 1-16 region). The Polar Bears edged by St. Patrick in one of the more controversial set of circumstances at the end of a district tournament games in recent memory, then were blitzed in the district finals by Mason County and their patchwork lineup. Trey Deaton averages 9.9/6.4; closely followed by Maso Tucker, Tad Fisher and Tanner Fisher.

Regional Tournament Schedule - all games at the Mason County Fieldhouse:

Upper Bracket

Clark County - Bracken County, Wednesday, February 28, 6:00 PM

The Cardinals squeaked by the Polar Bears 84-33 back on February 10. This one has the potential of being a little (but not much) closer as the Cards' bench will see LOTS of playing time. Way too much talent and experience for Clark County in this one. Clark 84, Bracken 39.

Campbell County - Harrison County, Wednesday, February 28, 7:30 PM.

Harrison County acquitted themselves well in the regular-season meeting between the two squads, falling 58-48 to the Camels in late January in Cynthiana. The Camels won't overlook the Breds in another "mismatch on paper". Reid Jolly dominates down low. Campbell 68, Harrison 50.

Lower Bracket

Pendleton County - Paris, Thursday, March 1, 6:00 PM.

This is the most intriguing matchup of the first round. Dontaie Allen had 43 in the first meeting between the two; but Paris overcame a halftime deficit behind balanced scoring from Johnson, Strings and Ashford to prevail 63-52. If Antrobus cannot play, I see a similar result. If Allen gets in foul trouble, it won't be close. If Antrobus does play, it will be a barn-burner. Paris 60, Pendleton County 57. You're welcome, Pendleton County fans.

Mason County - Scott, Thursday, March 1, 7:30 PM.

The Eagles look to avenge an early-season loss that saw Mason County race to a sizable lead, Scott storm back to take the lead with a couple ticks left, only to have the Royals score the game-winner on an inbounds play. There's been a lot of water under the bridge since then, especially for Mason County; who probably needs a healthy Jaylen Lofton to hang in this one. Both teams like to get it up and down the floor, so I'll say... Scott 76, Mason County 64.

Players to watch (one from each team):

1. Will Philpot, Clark County. The KABC 10th region player of the year, Philpot probably won't have to worry much in the opener, but if he avoids foul trouble, should dominate inside against the smaller Polar Bears.

2. Trey Deaton, Bracken County. Deaton may be the only Polar Bear that presents a matchup problem for Clark County, as he can score from inside or outside. I look for him to be defended by Brennan Canada.

3. Reid Jolly, Campbell County. The Camels' big man should have a field day down low.

4. Quenton Turley, Harrison County. Turley led the Breds with 17 in the district opener against Nicholas County, and if Free is not recovered from the flu, needs to have a spectacular game to keep his squad close against the Camels.

5. Grant Walsh, Pendleton County. We all know what to expect from Dontaie Allen; but we're unclear about the supporting cast.

6. Travis Strings, Paris. Strings has come out of nowhere this year; averaging 1.2 points in his 19 games played last year. If Paris is to beat Pendleton for the second time this month, Strings will have a big game.

7. Malcolm Devine, Mason County. Let's see what the Royals' primary running back can do as a followup to the biggest game of his career - it was an eye-opener!

8. Trey Meister, Scott. Another "where did he come from?" story, Meister has progressed from a 2.7/1.5 guy to leading the Eagles in both categories this season.

As the regional semis aren't scheduled until next week, I will be posting another 10th region tournament prediction thread next week.

And finally, I have an obligation every Wednesday so I will not be in attendance for the upper bracket games. Fear not, faithful followers - I plan - if the creek don't rise - to attend the Thursday games. I look forward to seeing some familiar faces and would love to meet a few new ones. As always, I offer free corn to those BGPers who request the delectable gastronomic delight.

Edited by mcpapa

Finally - the regional tournament is upon us. Some of the district tourney games were closer than expected, but the tournament played out pretty much as expected, with all four favorites cutting the nets last week. In this old hoops fan's humble opinion, there are two favorites, and three more that can get hot and make it to Rupp if the proverbial ball bounces their way.

The two favorites:

1. Clark County (28-4, 14-1 region). The Cardinals breezed by Bourbon County in the 40th district semis behind Will Philpot's 21 (18 in the first half) and Jordan Graham's 20 (16 of them in the pivotal 24-4 third quarter). The district final against Paris was anything but a cakewalk, as Clark prevailed 59-56 in overtime. Shooting was an issue (3-11 from 3, 14-27 from the line), and the bigger Cards squad was outrebounded by the Hounds by 13. Still, the Cards were my (and most others') preseason pick to represent the 10th in Lexington, and I'm sticking with them. The starting roster is loaded with five scoring options; led by Philpot (12.8/9.6, and a whopping 65% FG%); Graham (11.3), Brennan Canada (12.9/7.1), Ryan Cooper (10.5, 70/168 3-pointers) and Chase Taylor (7.7). J.J. Johnson, Jared Wellman and Jehdon Jenkins are productive off the bench, and could start for many of the region's teams.

2. Campbell County (25-5, 12-0 region). Campbell was another team that had an easy time in their district semi (90-55 over Calvary Christian)n then surviving a 10-18 night from the line to edge Scott 58-57 in the final. Coach Russell's charges remain the only team to hand GRC an in-region loss, and are certainly capable of winning three straight in the regional tournament; and are looking for some payback for the way they were bounced out of the past two regional tourneys on last-second shots. Reid Jolly (18.0/9.7, 63.2 FG%) holds down the middle, and is ably supported by Tanner Clos (15.8/5.1, 51.9 FG%), Joel Day (14.7, 88.6% FT) and Drew Wilson (9.5).

These are the other three teams that have a legitimate shot:

3. Paris (22-7, 13-5 region). The Greyhounds had won 11 straight, including scoring the final 9 points of the game in their 60-51 defeat of Montgomery County in the district final; prior to the heartbreaking loss to Clark County in the final. Senior Eric Johnson is the Greyhounds' go-to man (19.1, 5.8, and has attempted 160 more shots than anyone else on the team). Travis Strings has proven to be a pleasant surprise for Coach Brooks at 11.4/4.7; and Marcus Ashford, Taleigh Adams, Jalen Byars and Jamaun Clark all average 6.8 points or better per game. However, shooting is this team's Achilles heel; with no one at 70% from the line and Strings the only Hound hitting over a third of his shots from behind the arc.

4. Scott (21-9, 6-4 region). It is often tough to get a bead on Scott, an they play much more of a "Northern Kentucky" schedule as witnessed by only ten games against regional opponents, with two of them in the 37th district tournament last week. They handled Bishop Brossart by 18 in the semis, then gave Campbell County all they could handle in the final. Trey Meister leads the Eagles in scoring and rebounds on the season (15.1/5.9); Jake's younger brother Chad Ohmer is close behind at 14.6; Nathan Joyce at 7.9 hits over 60% of his field goals; and Nelson Perrin (11.9), Jaycob Pouncey (7.7) and David Hunter (7.5) round out the balanced Eagle scoring attack. Depth could be an issue.

5. Pendleton County (24-7, 16-4 region). Pendleton had no problems cruising through the 38th district tournament, handling Robertson County by 20 and Harrison County (who unceremoniously bounced the Cats in last year's district semis) by 29. The Wildcats are paced in just about everything by regional player-of-the-year favorite Dontaie Allen, who poured in 46 against the Thorobreds in the district final. The smooth junior swingman, who at last count had a half-dozen D-1 offers, averages 32.1 (over 60% from the field), 11.5 RPG and hits at just a tick under 80% from the line. Grant Walsh (13.9/5.8), Jacob Yelton (8.3/3.7) and Cody Sullivan (40% from distance) provide offensive punch. Pendleton's chances to advance deep into the regional tournament may rest on the availability/effectiveness of Adam Antrobus, whose 8.9/6.7 will be needed.

The rest:

6. Mason County (17-13, 7-7 region). The Royals had little trouble with Augusta and Bracken County in last week's district tournament, but their hopes of advancing this week may have been dealt a severe blow when Jaylen Lofton (11.4/7.3) severely lacerated a hand at halftime of the final against Bracken while opening a window in the locker room at halftime. With center Dalton Perkins still in street clothes after suffering a concussion in the final regular-season game, Mason County was/is? down to one remaining starter from the season's opening game (Leevi Dunaway, 19.8, 5.4). It is entirely possible that the rest of the starting five will be Malcolm Devine (the Royals' 14th man in November, but scored a career-high 29 against Bracken in the district final), Xylon Frey, Jeremiah Jones and Carson Brammer (4.9, 6.1 and 4.7 PPG).

7. Harrison County (11-20, 6-9 region). The Breds advanced past Nicholas County before falling to Pendleton in the 38th district tourney, advancing to the region for the sixth consecutive year. Spencer Free and Quenton Turley provide most of the scoring punch at 17.0/13.3; with Braden Bryant not far behind at 9.7. Free missed the Nicholas County game with the flu.

8. Bracken County (5-24, 1-16 region). The Polar Bears edged by St. Patrick in one of the more controversial set of circumstances at the end of a district tournament games in recent memory, then were blitzed in the district finals by Mason County and their patchwork lineup. Trey Deaton averages 9.9/6.4; closely followed by Maso Tucker, Tad Fisher and Tanner Fisher.

Regional Tournament Schedule - all games at the Mason County Fieldhouse:

Upper Bracket

Clark County - Bracken County, Wednesday, February 28, 6:00 PM

The Cardinals squeaked by the Polar Bears 84-33 back on February 10. This one has the potential of being a little (but not much) closer as the Cards' bench will see LOTS of playing time. Way too much talent and experience for Clark County in this one. Clark 84, Bracken 39.

Campbell County - Harrison County, Wednesday, February 28, 7:30 PM.

Harrison County acquitted themselves well in the regular-season meeting between the two squads, falling 58-48 to the Camels in late January in Cynthiana. The Camels won't overlook the Breds in another "mismatch on paper". Reid Jolly dominates down low. Campbell 68, Harrison 50.

Lower Bracket

Pendleton County - Paris, Thursday, March 1, 6:00 PM.

This is the most intriguing matchup of the first round. Dontaie Allen had 43 in the first meeting between the two; but Paris overcame a halftime deficit behind balanced scoring from Johnson, Strings and Ashford to prevail 63-52. If Antrobus cannot play, I see a similar result. If Allen gets in foul trouble, it won't be close. If Antrobus does play, it will be a barn-burner. Paris 60, Pendleton County 57. You're welcome, Pendleton County fans.

Mason County - Scott, Thursday, March 1, 7:30 PM.

The Eagles look to avenge an early-season loss that saw Mason County race to a sizable lead, Scott storm back to take the lead with a couple ticks left, only to have the Royals score the game-winner on an inbounds play. There's been a lot of water under the bridge since then, especially for Mason County; who probably needs a healthy Jaylen Lofton to hang in this one. Both teams like to get it up and down the floor, so I'll say... Scott 76, Mason County 64.

Players to watch (one from each team):

1. Will Philpot, Clark County. The KABC 10th region player of the year, Philpot probably won't have to worry much in the opener, but if he avoids foul trouble, should dominate inside against the smaller Polar Bears.

2. Trey Deaton, Bracken County. Deaton may be the only Polar Bear that presents a matchup problem for Clark County, as he can score from inside or outside. I look for him to be defended by Brennan Canada.

3. Reid Jolly, Campbell County. The Camels' big man should have a field day down low.

4. Quenton Turley, Harrison County. Turley led the Breds with 17 in the district opener against Nicholas County, and if Free is not recovered from the flu, needs to have a spectacular game to keep his squad close against the Camels.

5. Grant Walsh, Pendleton County. We all know what to expect from Dontaie Allen; but we're unclear about the supporting cast.

6. Travis Strings, Paris. Strings has come out of nowhere this year; averaging 1.2 points in his 19 games played last year. If Paris is to beat Pendleton for the second time this month, Strings will have a big game.

7. Malcolm Devine, Mason County. Let's see what the Royals' primary running back can do as a followup to the biggest game of his career - it was an eye-opener!

8. Trey Meister, Scott. Another "where did he come from?" story, Meister has progressed from a 2.7/1.5 guy to leading the Eagles in both categories this season.

As the regional semis aren't scheduled until next week, I will be posting another 10th region tournament prediction thread next week.

And finally, I have an obligation every Wednesday so I will not be in attendance for the upper bracket games. Fear not, faithful followers - I plan - if the creek don't rise - to attend the Thursday games. I look forward to seeing some familiar faces and would love to meet a few new ones. As always, I offer free corn to those BGPers who request the delectable gastronomic delight.

I will fight through the crowd to find you and collect my $1 in lieu of popcorn and include that small portion in an investment in scratch offs at Speedway on my way home, if okay with you

I will fight through the crowd to find you and collect my $1 in lieu of popcorn and include that small portion in an investment in scratch offs at Speedway on my way home, if okay with you

I like this idea. Bring a stack of singles @mcpapa and just start handing them out. Make it Rain!

My way or the highway. It is what it is.