BluegrassPreps.com 11th Region Tournament Preview

The regional tournament is finally upon us in what is arguably the toughest region in the state of Kentucky. This is one of the most exciting weeks around the state and it is even more magnified in the 11th Region. If you can win the 11th you can win the whole thing!! The draw was interesting with one side loaded up and the other side looking like an easy path for a prohibitive favorite. Lets check out the bracket.

Lexington Christian Academy(25-7) vs. Frankfort(16-13)- The opening game of the 11th Region tournament offers us a rematch of the 11th Region All A tournament. Lexington Christian comes in as arguably the hottest team in the state after capturing their second consecutive 43rd District Championship. Frankfort comes in as an unexpected runner up. After finishing the regular season undefeated in the 41st District, Frankfort fell to Woodford County in the championship game. The Panthers have struggled with LCA's size the past couple of years in the All A and I don't expect much to change this time around. Frankfort's guards could give LCA fits on a bigger court but I don't expect it to be enough to knock off the likes of Rode, Hendrickson, and Hall. Look for LCA to move on to the semi finals in comfortable fashion.

Madison Central(24-7) vs. Bryan Station(23-7) - This will be the 3rd meeting of the season for these two teams. The Defenders came away with the win in both of the previous meetings. This is by far the best first round matchup in the tournament and maybe the whole state. Two teams who have been inside the top 10 rankings all year and have a handful of impressive victories. I think Bryan Station has the best player on the floor in the game in Eric Boone but I think Madison Central is the better overall team. Look for playing in Richmond to also be a huge factor in the outcome of this game as well, as the Indian faithful always pack the place out. I'm going with Madison Central in this one by 5.

Scott County(31-1) vs. Madison Southern(12-19) - Not really much to say about this game other then it could be the start of a big week for the Cardinals as they aim to repeat as 11th region champions. Madison Southern once again finds itself in the 11th region tournament and this game will be good experience for some of Coach Buttry's younger players. Expect this game to hit a running clock as Scott County rolls on to the semi finals.

Woodford County(17-13) vs Lafayette(20-9) - I look at this game as the sleeper matchup in the first round of the region tournament. Lafayette hasn't been playing their best basketball lately and Woodford managed to pull together two wins last week and seem to maybe have righted the ship. If the Yellow Jackets can endure the Lafayette pressure and handle big Ray Surrat down low they have a shot at this one. Ill go with Lafayette in a close one by 7.

I fully expect to see Scott County in the finals of the region tournament. The tough part is who will they play. Their are arguably 3 teams that could make it to the finals out of the top portion of the bracket. All 3 have had outstanding years and will be a tough out. At this point I'm going with........

Madison Central vs. Scott County

Good luck to everyone this week. I'm looking forward to an awesome tournament as always!!

Great work as always. I think your right, the first round has the making of two wins by a comfortable margin, Scott Co and LCA, and 2 good games in the other matches.

Station and Central should be a good match. I agree, Boone is probably the best player on the floor and containing him is always a chore. I think that Dustin Gerald will be the difference maker. They don’t have anybody to match him and if he is aggressive, he will be a difference maker. Isaiah Minter needs to take care of the ball and run the offense. Cozart will be a difficult cover for Station, at times in the last couple of games Boone even guarded him. It should be a good one and I can’t wait. I think with the changes Feldhaus makes from the 2 previous games and the fact the Station supporting cast hasn’t been playing to the level they were earlier in the season Central takes this game.

I hope your right and that it ends up Scott Co. and Central, its a tough road for Central to even get there, but they have the talent to do it. It’s going to be a great week of basketball.