BluegrassPreps.com 5th Region First Round Tournament Preview

The 5th region has been fun to cover this year and will only get better as the region tourney is about here. There will be a new champion as Taylor County lost in district play. The top 2 teams all year, Larue and John Hardin are in it and are in opposite sides of the bracket. There should be some very good games in the region tourney. The region will be held at the Roby Dome in Marion County.

First Round Matchups

Campbellsville vs. Bardstown (Feb 28th)

These two teams have played twice earlier in the season with Bardstown winning by one point both times. Campbellsville is enjoying their first region appearance since 2010 and Bardstown won their district for the fifth straight time. Both teams are playing well and look for this game to be another thriller. Campbellsville was the runner up in the 20th district and Bardstown won the 19th district. I’ve got Bardstown beating Campbellsville for the third time this year by the score of 62-56.

Caverna vs. John Hardin (Feb 28th)

These teams didn’t meet in the regular season. Both teams are playing well and both have great individual players. Jobby Howard for Caverna and Mickey Pearson for John Hardin are some of the best scorers in the state. Caverna has had a good year and John Hardin has remained the favorite all season long. Caverna was the runner up in the 18th district and John Hardin won the 17th district. Caverna and Jobby Howard have had a great year but John Hardin will be too much this game, I’ve got John Hardin winning 85-57.

Bethlehem vs. Larue County (Mar 1st)

These two teams did not play each other in the regular season. Larue County has the most wins of any team in the region and Bethlehem upset Washington County to get to the regional tourney. For Bethlehem to have a new coach and make region is impressive, where Larue County has been outstanding all year and could easily win the region. Bethlehem was the runner up in the 19th district and Larue County won the 18th district. Larue has too much firepower for Bethlehem, I have Larue winning 76-53.

Central Hardin vs. Adair County (Mar 1st)

These two teams didn’t play in the regular season. Adair has the leading scorer in the state in freshmen phenom Zion Harmon, and Central Hardin has been a pleasant surprise all year getting out of the toughest district in the region. Both teams could make a run in this region tourney as they have been ranked 4th or 5th in the region all year. Central Hardin was runner up in 17th district where Adair County was the winner in the 20th district. This should be one of the better games but I have to take Zion Harmon and Adair County by the score of 75-68.