Coach Gray Taking advantage of the new Beechwood Digs

Geek61

For the past few days Coach Gray has had the boys practicing in rain and into the darkness. I'm sure some of it was the Freshman team, but must be nice to have turf and lights available. Must be like Field of Dreams for him. If only they could make that turf smell like Fresh Cut Grass and Dirt.

On a related note...

I haven't been too involved with BW Baseball the past few years. I did not know Coach Gray, but heard great things. I was already excited about what I was hearing from friends who have kids on the team and then got a chance to meet him and a couple of the new assistant coaches at a BW fundraiser a few weeks ago. This has definitely put the polish back on Tiger Baseball for me. For the first time in a long time I'm pretty excited about seeing Tigers on the diamond.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Gray will maximize the talents and efforts of the BW baseballers and represent Beechwood High School to the best of their abilities.

I am happy for Kevin to have this opportunity.

Building champions and winning championships on the diamond and the hardwood since the mid 90's.

For the past few days Coach Gray has had the boys practicing in rain and into the darkness. I'm sure some of it was the Freshman team, but must be nice to have turf and lights available. Must be like Field of Dreams for him. If only they could make that turf smell like Fresh Cut Grass and Dirt.

On a related note...

I haven't been too involved with BW Baseball the past few years. I did not know Coach Gray, but heard great things. I was already excited about what I was hearing from friends who have kids on the team and then got a chance to meet him and a couple of the new assistant coaches at a BW fundraiser a few weeks ago. This has definitely put the polish back on Tiger Baseball for me. For the first time in a long time I'm pretty excited about seeing Tigers on the diamond.

Couldn't agree more on your comments about Coach Gray. The new resources are top notch. Along with the turf and lights, next to the home dugout, they are about 40% into building a good size auxiliary building that the baseball team can work out in... along with other sports.

The next few years will be exciting, but if you missed that last few years you missed some exciting baseball. The Tigers have won 2 All 'A' Championships in the last 4 years. For a 1a school, that should be your first goal. The teams have been loaded and they may have underachieved a bit. However, they were very fun to watch.

We need to look into piping dirt and grass smell in. Love that smell !

The Tigers have a tough, talented and experienced group of players. Coach Gray and his staff are establishing a new tone in the locker room with high expectations and no BS. They'll fly under the radar because they don't have numerous D1 commits but, as stated in other threads, that doesn't guarantee success. They hit hard, have speed, and have talent on the mound. Can't wait to see them play under the new lights.

The Tigers have a tough, talented and experienced group of players. Coach Gray and his staff are establishing a new tone in the locker room with high expectations and no BS. They'll fly under the radar because they don't have numerous D1 commits but, as stated in other threads, that doesn't guarantee success. They hit hard, have speed, and have talent on the mound. Can't wait to see them play under the new lights.

How are the parents and kids responding to the new “no nonsense” approach?

Really excited to see what Coach Gray can do. Hear nothing but great things about him.

How are the parents and kids responding to the new “no nonsense” approach?

Really excited to see what Coach Gray can do. Hear nothing but great things about him.

Some have embraced the new spirit and some have decided to take their energy elsewhere. It'll be very interesting to see how, or if, that impacts play on the field. In general, though, most sound excited for the future.

Some have embraced the new spirit and some have decided to take their energy elsewhere. It'll be very interesting to see how, or if, that impacts play on the field. In general, though, most sound excited for the future.

Was not aware of that. I am friends with parents of some key players and they are all positive. I hope the others wake up and don't screw up an opportunity for their kids. I hope the others wake up and see it for what it is. In the long run, I believe the kids will respond to no BS. Its the parents that are the problem. I have been wrong before, but I don't think a particular player or parent will have greater influence over Coaching decisions than others. That was not my (nor my friends with their boys) experience in recent years.

I have not seen a current roster and am going off of conversations with players. So, its all hearsay. However, I think those who were not positive abt the new staff/program have left the program. That's a loss of talent and a little sad. Are you saying that the parents are a problem because they didn't teach the kids to face adversity or do you sense that parents are a problem for the program? Hoping its not the latter. Nobody wants to go into a season with drama, which, personally, I don't see happening here.

I have not seen a current roster and am going off of conversations with players. So, its all hearsay. However, I think those who were not positive abt the new staff/program have left the program. That's a loss of talent and a little sad. Are you saying that the parents are a problem because they didn't teach the kids to face adversity or do you sense that parents are a problem for the program? Hoping its not the latter. Nobody wants to go into a season with drama, which, personally, I don't see happening here.

Will definitely be interesting to see that final roster and who's not on it that should be. Never fails to amaze me how some parents refuse to understand that demanding discipline, hard work, accountability, etc. is a wonderful thing a coach can bring to a staff. Have heard from many parents in the system and coaches in the area that this was lacking in years past. Bravo to the change in approach...regardless of who departs as a result.