Apollo 61 Owensboro 58

Coming in Apollo was 12-14 with 10 losses coming by 4 points or less. Seems like they haven't got a ton of breaks this year. For some reason though, the seem to match up well against Owensboro. They came out and fell down 9-0 in the first couple of minutes and it looked like they were completely overmatched, but they settled in and made some adjustments and grinded it out. Owensboro had some rough calls in the game, IMO. Overall I felt like the game was pretty poorly officiated, with the Devils getting the short end of a lot of them. Even with that, they have the ball, up 4 with under 2 minutes and couldn't finish. They missed big FT's and a 2 footer that would have given them the lead back in the final seconds. Apollo simply made more plays in the last minute than Owensboro. Much like last season in the 3rd, the player of the year and the best team in the regular season are now 1 and done in the postseason.

Officiating is TERRIBLE in the 3rd. Barnes, and the Wilson brothers need to pick up their fishing poles and see if the crappie are biting!! Please hang your whistles up guys!!!

Barry Barnes? I haven't been to a high school game in several years, but I'm pretty sure he was officiating back when I graduated in '93. He must have been a lot younger than he looked back then, otherwise I'm shocked that he is still active.

Barry Barnes? I haven't been to a high school game in several years, but I'm pretty sure he was officiating back when I graduated in '93. He must have been a lot younger than he looked back then, otherwise I'm shocked that he is still active.

Sounds to me like his eye sight is failing !

I graduated High School in 1980 and Barry Barnes was officiating then!! He officiated my 4 years of playing, which takes him into the late 1970's. Sadly, he cant keep up with today's players. I give him credit, he tries to. But, when you combine him with Kenny Wilson, who's not far off in age from Barnes, it's a complete disaster. Good games are ruined by bad officiating. They physically cant get into position to make correct calls. They often anticipate the call before the play actually plays out. But, when you're not far from 80 years old still trying to run the floor with 17 and 18 year old thoroughbreds, the results are subpar. This only takes away from what could be a great contest. Exactly what results came from OHS vs Apollo in the 9th District opener.

Coming in Apollo was 12-14 with 10 losses coming by 4 points or less. Seems like they haven't got a ton of breaks this year. For some reason though, the seem to match up well against Owensboro. They came out and fell down 9-0 in the first couple of minutes and it looked like they were completely overmatched, but they settled in and made some adjustments and grinded it out. Owensboro had some rough calls in the game, IMO. Overall I felt like the game was pretty poorly officiated, with the Devils getting the short end of a lot of them. Even with that, they have the ball, up 4 with under 2 minutes and couldn't finish. They missed big FT's and a 2 footer that would have given them the lead back in the final seconds. Apollo simply made more plays in the last minute than Owensboro. Much like last season in the 3rd, the player of the year and the best team in the regular season are now 1 and done in the postseason.

The two footer you spoke of, wasn't that the play where the charge was called? The kid flopped and IMO at the least it should have been a no-call. I'm not going to lay it on the refs because OHS didn't finish, but those officials weren't at their best by any stretch of the imagination.:no:

This region messes up my Sweet 16 picks again in a few local contest I enter, which have to be turned in before the districts begin. Seems like it is always one of the hardest regions to figure out and get right. I entered 6 contest sheets and picked Owensboro in every one of them but one, which I picked Catholic.

I thought this region was one of the safest picks of them all, kind of like the 4th with Warren Central.

This region messes up my Sweet 16 picks again in a few local contest I enter, which have to be turned in before the districts begin. Seems like it is always one of the hardest regions to figure out and get right. I entered 6 contest sheets and picked Owensboro in every one of them but one, which I picked Catholic.

I thought this region was one of the safest picks of them all, kind of like the 4th with Warren Central.

Going back 20-30 years I would just guess the best regular season team in the 3rd Region has probably advanced to Rupp around 40-50% of the time. And a lot of those would be caused by first round district upsets. It’s legit madness in the 3rd.