Lavone Holland - NKU Guard

Oldbird

I know with NKU only being D-1 for a few years the scale is skewed recent, but is Lavone the best guard in NKU history? I think if I were drafting a team of all time NKU players, he would be my first pick among guards and likely my first pick overall.

We will really miss that young man next year.

I could probably see either doing it, but I was speaking of Mason since he's got 2 years experience behind Holland.

Speaking of them, are they brothers or cousins, or not related?

Far as I know they aren’t related.

Looks like Trevon has the height advantage. I’m interested in seeing if Trevon can earn some playing time next year. I was wondering how Mason was coming along though.

Far as I know they aren’t related.

Looks like Trevon has the height advantage. I’m interested in seeing if Trevon can earn some playing time next year. I was wondering how Mason was coming along though.

In all honesty, I've been a little disappointed in Mason this season. IMO, he hasn't really shown much improvement from last season (could even argue he's somewhat regressed), but the return of Tate and the addition of Tyler Sharpe probably have a role in that.

When he gets going though, look out. Dude can score a lot of points and in a hurry.

I imagine Trevon will step in and play a nice role off the bench from the jump next season. They should be fairly deep once again next season.

And now that I look at his stats, Mason has improved his shooting %'s across the board this season, so maybe it's more a matter of me having too lofty of expectations for him. :idunno:

I agree with you. Mason had a stretch of 6-8 games last year where he went from nothing to 15-25 every game. I think that skews the stats. He has definitely not picked up where he left off last year and he needs to take majors strides to take over the PG position next year.

Holland will go down as one of the all-time greats for NKU. He was the point guard and one of the main contributors on the first D1 team, conference champion, MVP of conference tourney, and NCAA tournament team. He and McDonald have solidified their spot in NKU history. When you look at the stats and consider the level the program has reached, I would say he's the best guard they've ever had. I loved the D2 era but I don't see a guard that could do what Holland does.