Best Assistant Coaches That Should Be Head Coaches

1) Joe Frederick(Covington Catholic)- Wouldn't be surprised if someone calls him to be their next head coach. Flat out gets it done. Comes from a great family. Has a lot of connections in college basketball so his players can go to college and play basketball. Can relate to the kids. I believe one of the best assistant coaches in the state.

2) Ben Franzen- Has been at Covington Catholic for two years. His record is 42-0. When was the last time that happened?

3) Casey Sorrell- Former college GA. Had the opportunity to stay in college basketball but decided to be a teacher and basketball coach.

4) John Bud Wimzie- Holmes High School. Great coach even better person.

Those are my top 4. Who else do you believe should be on this list?

1) Joe Frederick(Covington Catholic)- Wouldn't be surprised if someone calls him to be their next head coach. Flat out gets it done. Comes from a great family. Has a lot of connections in college basketball so his players can go to college and play basketball. Can relate to the kids. I believe one of the best assistant coaches in the state.

2) Ben Franzen- Has been at Covington Catholic for two years. His record is 42-0. When was the last time that happened?

3) Casey Sorrell- Former college GA. Had the opportunity to stay in college basketball but decided to be a teacher and basketball coach.

So, 3 out of your top 4 just so happen to all sit on the same bench? No way this could be a biased opinion.

So, 3 out of your top 4 just so happen to all sit on the same bench? No way this could be a biased opinion.

Lots besides coaching goes into being a head coach. You also need to satisfy the KHSAA requirements.

With becoming a head coach comes paper work responsibility, equipment/uniform ordering, fund-raising, promoting your program, running camps, scheduling, making travel arrangements, representing your school at public or organizational functions, interacting with parents, and the list goes on and on.

As stated above, John Bud Wimzie might be the most qualified to lead a program, and I have every confidence that he would do a great job and be successful. He is the glue that solidifies the Holmes program, and performs an invaluable service.

Some great coaches are happy serving as assistants and don't want the responsibility or spotlight of being a head coach.