Students Educated in Active Shooting in Schools?

Beechwoodfan

My kids have been out of school awhile, so this surprises me. A woman I work with said that her children are taught what to do in the case of an active shooter by their teachers. One thing they are told is to jump out windows, run and scatter because clumps of students increase casualties. Kindergarten teachers are told to throw students out the window as fast as they can (yes, literally throw). They were taught that any injury a kid might sustain from a first or second story window is less risk than hiding in a classroom like sitting ducks.

This sounds crazy to me, though I guess current events make it necessary. Those of you who have kids in school, does your school teach your kids what to do?

Most schools that I'm aware of have a shelter in place plan. Lock the door, cover the window in the door and move kids to an area out of view from the window.

On some levels going out the windows makes sense, but I've never heard of tossing kids out of second story windows before.

I've been through the active shooter training. The message was always "Run or fight." We keep the doors locked and the lights off during the drills and I was taught to look for weapons to use.

Another thing was that if they are in the building, then they have already made their decision. There is not talking them down or primary targets, they will shoot anyone regardless of age. Hiding under the desks is a bad idea. Run away, throw things, and fight.

Many school districts have moved to ALICE training, when it comes to Active Shooters. This basically adds a counter attack component to Lockdown, Barricade, and Escape (which is the more traditional method).

Can't say in my line of work that I've heard of anyone teaching the method of tossing kids out windows, especially from a 2nd floor.

Most schools that I'm aware of have a shelter in place plan. Lock the door, cover the window in the door and move kids to an area out of view from the window.

On some levels going out the windows makes sense, but I've never heard of tossing kids out of second story windows before.

I repeatedly asked this mom, “throw them out?” and she insisted that is what the teacher said. She added “as fast as they can.”

Perhaps she or the teacher embellished. The image of kids flying out the windows just doesn’t seem right.

We, via the Kentucky State Police Active Shooter Training, train to run if you can, hide and barricade next, and then fight if you have to. The State Police do train you to scatter in the room and not cluster. They learned from Sandy Hook that clustering probably cost more children their lives.

I have never heard in any training to throw kids out of the window. Once you lockdown in the room you wait for some authority to unlock the door and direct you what to do next.